burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

I have been working on a project for a friend of mine who owns a game park in Namibia. Just wondering what people thought. I still need to add text, boundaries (when I get them) and the map surrounds. I am having trouble with the contours. How do you split the line in ArcMap?

Attached Files

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

I have been working on a project for a friend of mine who owns a game park in Namibia. Just wondering what people thought. I still need to add text, boundaries (when I get them) and the map surrounds. I am having trouble with the contours. How do you split the line in ArcMap?

Some quick comments.

Is this still in a lat long projection? You may want to reproject this to something like UTM. Much more useful for on the ground navigation.

Shading and hypsometry looks good as is if you will not be overlaying contours, it will be hard to read brown contours on top of that background.

I use edit tools to split lines with other lines or with polygons in arc.

Some fairly wide rivers just seem to end suddenly....

You may want to consider using something like the MODIS 250m NDVI data to create a vegetation mask to color your shading in combination with the hypsometric tinting. You could pick a time period corresponding to the season in which most visitors are there or a representative month unless you like the hypsometric scale you currently show.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Very nice!

Sounds like this map will be used for roaming around the park, hunting stuff, so keeping contours on will be key. One option is to go darker orange-brown for lines & annotation.

Disappearing rivers may actually be headwaters of another drainage? (again - contours are userful)

Maybe spot check the roads with aerial photo source? (GE) They look a little light on vertices (i.e. data quality).
Bezier curves for roads.

Remark re: temporal veg image is key - when is prime hunting season at the park?

burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

The project is more for a marketing the area. The road data is just DCW. The only other source I have is Landsat 7 which I may use. The projection is UTM but I should make it LCC. I haven't decided yet. Most of the hydrology was generated using ArcMap mapping Flow Accumulation. The big rivers (Orange and Fish River) were mapped in Photoshop. I am still going to check the place names database against the rivers to see if, indeed they actually are a river. Some you can visually tell from Landsat but some are not so obvious. How do you taper the streams in photoshop? I looked at using the Modis Landcover but there just wasn't enough vegetation for it to make sense. I was wondering how you handle this data? Everytime I drape it on top of my hillshade it looks really pixelated in comparison to the 90 m elevation data. Are you just smoothing or filtering it out alot? Or is there some trick to making this data look nice.

Thanks for the comments and I will try and post a completed version when its done.

Bruce

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

The project is more for a marketing the area. The road data is just DCW. The only other source I have is Landsat 7 which I may use. The projection is UTM but I should make it LCC. I haven't decided yet. Most of the hydrology was generated using ArcMap mapping Flow Accumulation. The big rivers (Orange and Fish River) were mapped in Photoshop. I am still going to check the place names database against the rivers to see if, indeed they actually are a river. Some you can visually tell from Landsat but some are not so obvious. How do you taper the streams in photoshop? I looked at using the Modis Landcover but there just wasn't enough vegetation for it to make sense. I was wondering how you handle this data? Everytime I drape it on top of my hillshade it looks really pixelated in comparison to the 90 m elevation data. Are you just smoothing or filtering it out alot? Or is there some trick to making this data look nice.

Thanks for the comments and I will try and post a completed version when its done.

Bruce

Bruce,

Keep in mind that MODIS landcover is 1km resolution.

You should be able to create an NDVI mask from the Landsat to create a quick/approximate vegetation layer (I'm not familiar with this region, maybe there is no vegetation). The best way to do that is to create a NDVI layer (b4- b3/b4 + b3) and have it as a grayscale layer that you then use as a mask to modulate how a green tint is applied to your shaded relief.

I have never used Photoshop to taper rivers but I suppose you could zoom in and erase pixels to shape the rivers.

If the map is mostly for promotional use I would suggest leaving the contours off .

mg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->