Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Anyone else notice the addition of building footprints and subtle shadowing to the Manhattan google map tiles:

http://maps.google.c...&...013336&om=1

...and subway stops too...but no color coding so you have to read the little letters which makes it harder to figure out the stops.

The addition of subway stops is a major change for these normally very car-centric services. I guess it only makes sense for pedestrian oriented Manhattan.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

That's pretty cool - but it sure makes the Empire State Building look short :P

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

There is at least one, if not three, Google Maps mashups that help you navigate NYC point-to-point, purely via mass transit. I think I saw them on googlemapsmania.blogspot.com, I'll try to dig them up.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • United States

Interesting. Looks like maybe they used Sketchup to raise the heights (based on what?). Shouldn't be hard to do for any place you have building footprints for.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

danielle

danielle

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

The buildings with complex roof lines are drawn with varying heights. Someone spent a lot of money to make this dataset. The data files the City has do not allow for this sort of detail.

My guess is it's the 3D Model listed here, from Sanborn: http://www.sanborn.c...s_MANHATTAN.pdf

Hopefully the market is ready to support this sort of business, in the past the 3D modeling companies didn't fare that well with only telcom clients. The pricing seems appropriate for the 3D Model, but the Geographic Info Data is 10x more expensive than it needs to be.

Danielle

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

You can create 3d geometry by purely photogrametric methods (measuring shadows, using paired imagery, etc.). There has been lots of R/D on this lately with the hopes of creating automated methodologies.

Google Earth has had 3D buildings for a little bit. It's only a matter of time before folks will be using oblique Pictometry imagery for skinning the bldg. mass models.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

The buildings with complex roof lines are drawn with varying heights. Someone spent a lot of money to make this dataset. The data files the City has do not allow for this sort of detail.

My guess is it's the 3D Model listed here, from Sanborn: http://www.sanborn.c...s_MANHATTAN.pdf

Hopefully the market is ready to support this sort of business, in the past the 3D modeling companies didn't fare that well with only telcom clients. The pricing seems appropriate for the 3D Model, but the Geographic Info Data is 10x more expensive than it needs to be.

Danielle

Based on the Boston details and coverage I have to agree that it is Sanborn data.

You can create 3d geometry by purely photogrametric methods (measuring shadows, using paired imagery, etc.). There has been lots of R/D on this lately with the hopes of creating automated methodologies.

Google Earth has had 3D buildings for a little bit. It's only a matter of time before folks will be using oblique Pictometry imagery for skinning the bldg. mass models.

LIDAR is also a very good and fast way to create both the footprints and the height data for 3-d modelling.

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Danielle

And, alas, Sanborn does not license their data for for-sale products. We had to build our own for the New Orleans title we did last year.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->