bhupesh

bhupesh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • India

Dear Friends,

Please let me know is there any method to download Google Earth Images with projection information intact (not the simple .jpg images which do not contain any projection parameters).

Thanks in Advance

Bhupesh

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Dear Friends,

Please let me know is there any method to download Google Earth Images with projection information intact (not the simple .jpg images which do not contain any projection parameters).

Thanks in Advance

Bhupesh

There is no way to do this. In addition to that, do keep in mind it's not allowed to use the data obtained through Google Earth for any commercial project. I.e. it's not a free source of high-resolution imagery...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

mdsumner

mdsumner

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Australia

You can do this with Manifold with the 3rd-party image server tools. Manifold will download
and cache the GE tiles, present them as an Image Library component (hierarchical mosaic) which you
can then render or unlink as a georeferenced image.

http://www.manifold....age_servers.htm

Let me know if you want more info on this. Be clear on the limitations given by the GE terms and conditions, and sometimes they will block this particular usage for a time, but it works nicely.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

You can do this with Manifold with the 3rd-party image server tools. Manifold will download
and cache the GE tiles, present them as an Image Library component (hierarchical mosaic) which you
can then render or unlink as a georeferenced image.

http://www.manifold....age_servers.htm

Let me know if you want more info on this. Be clear on the limitations given by the GE terms and conditions, and sometimes they will block this particular usage for a time, but it works nicely.

Doh... forgot about this one... Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this reading the Google Maps tiles? Minor detail, I know... Also, Google seems to block access or move servers every now and then to prevent this from happening.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

mdsumner

mdsumner

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Australia

At least where I live, the highest res imagery is available both on GE and GMaps, and Manifold can suck it down.

You can try out the Manifold toolbar to easily see what's available:

http://www.manifold.net/toolbar/

I'm using 7x build 917, but for at least a few versions you've been able to download all the tiles for all or some levels (so your cache is fast), and you can build index drawings - but that can be heavy.

Yes Google will block usage intermittently, but it doesn't seem to persist.

GIS_Stud

GIS_Stud

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • No Country Selected

dear summer..
i dont have manifold..
can u suggest anything else to download projected google earth data..
i used a rtk gps pm3rtk or logging some points..
i took prolonged observations and after post processing i found those data averaging 10 m away in google earth..
is google earth accurate??? pls help to sort out this confusion..
sam

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

dear summer..
i dont have manifold..
can u suggest anything else to download projected google earth data..
i used a rtk gps pm3rtk or logging some points..
i took prolonged observations and after post processing i found those data averaging 10 m away in google earth..
is google earth accurate??? pls help to sort out this confusion..
sam

I think the accuracy of Google Earth (GE) must vary a fair amount from region to region, in England it looks to be good to a metre or two, but I know that people in some other parts of the world don't find it to be this accurate.

If what you want to do is to trace shapes from GE imagery it's very easy. You can trace the shapes directly in GE (points, lines and polygons) and save them as KML files. These can be then be converted to projected shape files using free software. Tracing directly from GE means that you can work with the best magnification that GE can offer. Post a message here if you'd like some help on how to do this.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

GIS_Stud

GIS_Stud

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • No Country Selected

Dear Nick H..
I really appreciate your suggestions..
what i need in google earth is to get landuse per plot (boundary of land ownership)
i have a digitized plot map..and now i need to classify those according to their uses
besides i also need to identify different structures on that particular parcel of land..
for that i wish to use google images..

for my region i found good res google images but i cant download them with projection params..
i can dl them as simple jpeg image though...i cudnt get a 10 sq km area at a glance..i am using arcmap 9.2
can you pls show me a way to solve this problem..
thank you a lot.
sam

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

Dear Nick H..
I really appreciate your suggestions..
what i need in google earth is to get landuse per plot (boundary of land ownership)
i have a digitized plot map..and now i need to classify those according to their uses
besides i also need to identify different structures on that particular parcel of land..
for that i wish to use google images..

for my region i found good res google images but i cant download them with projection params..
i can dl them as simple jpeg image though...i cudnt get a 10 sq km area at a glance..i am using arcmap 9.2
can you pls show me a way to solve this problem..
thank you a lot.
sam

Hi Sam,

It would be possible to put place marks labelled with Lat/Lon on the GE imagery, one in each corner of the image. Then save the image and calibrate it using the coordinates of the place marks. But to get the detail you want with the area you want this would be a terribly long job.

Thinking about a different approach, you mention that you have a digitised map of the area in question. If this is a shape file, how about converting it to a KML file and then loading it into GE. This would at least allow you to view the property boundaries on the ground. Then you could trace any extra shapes you require, buildings, points with labels and so on, in GE. Export from GE as KML, convert the KMLs to SHPs and add them to your map. There is good, free software for converting between SHP and KML.

Just a couple of thoughts, you need to know that I'm not any sort of expert in this area ;).

Regards, Nick.

GIS_Stud

GIS_Stud

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • No Country Selected

Dear Nick
Thanks a lot for your innovative ideas..really appreciate those..
yeah it ud be a hell of a job to get such details for a 25 sq km area :-(
ur second option is good also..but the map i have is not projected..so i suppose it wont clearly show the area of interest..
i have prepared a boundary shape file for the area i wanted..i actually wish to dl the ge image of that area with projection info intact..i hope someone wil help me on this endeavor..
thanks a lot nick for ur kind support.
sam

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

i actually wish to dl the ge image of that area with projection info intact..i hope someone wil help me on this endeavor..

I honestly don't know a way of doing this. People have tried to make software for troughing georeferenced GE imagery but attempts to do this have resulted in IP addresses being blocked, as mentioned above.

It is possible of course to plot grids on GE (make a point shape file and convert this to KML) and to use this to georeference the images. I made one some time ago, not for this purpose, you'd need smaller intervals, see attached. But it would still be a lot of work!

Regards, N.

Attached Files

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

Bhupesh,

I'm assuming your area of interest is not in the U.S., correct? If it were, you could download projected aerial imagery of the county or counties of interest from NRCS for free (http://datagateway.n...atewayHome.html) and not have to worry about using GE other than as a visual aid. Since I'm almost positive it is not, another option is to use satellite imagery data for your analysis. GLOVIS is a great resource for finding and downloading scenes for your area of interest (http://glovis.usgs.gov/).

Hope this helps.
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

GIS_Stud

GIS_Stud

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • No Country Selected

thanks nick..
i think now stitching is the problem..i can save diff snapshots..but ow can i add those tiles together..
u r reall a helpful person..thank you buddy..

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

If you have access to MapInfo (a little known GIS package ;) ) you can use a tool called GEScene:

"GEScene is a MapInfo utility that allows images to be exchanged in both directions between MapInfo and Google Earth"

I've not used it so can't comment on how well it works, but might be worth a try if you have MapInfo.

Greg

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

i think now stitching is the problem..i can save diff snapshots..but ow can i add those tiles together..

You would need to georeference each tile and then add each one as a layer in a GIS package. There is a very good (free, of course!) little utility for trimming, straightening and georeferencing map images which also works very well with GE imagery. See 'RasterStretch':

http://www.mapmaker.org/software.php

Regards, N.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->