ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

The live Monopoply link prompted me to post this .

From the website:
"Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache. "

Here's the Link

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

i need to get a gps unit first...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

i need to get a gps unit first...

Yeah, me too. If Geocaching really gets popular, think of all the junk that will start collecting in many places.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Geocaching seems like a very interesting hobby. It gets you out and about and you even get to keep some goodies! Or useless junk, depends on how you look at it...

I'm actually looking for a small, handheld GPS receiver. Not too expensive and I need to be able to download the logfiles. Any recommendations?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Look at the Garmin Geko units. Small, light, very simple and have WAAS/EGNOS but nothing fancy. The Garmin Etrex units are also fairly simple and can be found for very cheap on ebay... There is alot of software apps to get the data into shapefile formats, the best is the Minnesota DNR software because it works and it is free....if you are running Manifold on your laptop you can patch in your GPS and monitor your position real time if you are collecting data. SO no other software is necessary. Manifold seems to work best with Garmin units. AFAIK Garmin units will need a Serial to USB conversion cable as most still only come with a serial connector.

You'll want to get a unit with EGNOS correction enabled as hopefully this will be available in Europe within the lifetime of your GPS (it was suppose to be available 1 year ago) this corrects the GPS signal to within 5m when available. The equivalent in the US is WAAS.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

As long as the logs are downloadable and in NMEA-0183 format, I can convert them to anything I like with the software I have here. I would like to be able to do some data collection.

At the moment, I'm using TomTom Navigator, which runs on a PocketPC. Unfortunately it relies on a 12v power supply, the GPS receiver will not work if it's not powered. Also, there's too many cables involved.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->