• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Zwirko

Zwirko

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Not sure if this falls within the brief of Carto Talk, but worth a shot ...

For a college project I have created a series of maps that show the average ice ditribution over the James Bay region of Canada for each month of the year. However, I am unable to add placenames to some of the small islands. Not a big deal really, but for the sake of completeness I would love to have them all named.

One group in particular has me stumped. They can be found at: 52?32'59.30"N, 79? 9'54.48"W. If anybody happens to know the name of this group of islands I would be eternally grateful.

I have checked on the Atlas of Canada - Toprama map series, but to no avail. I suspect that they may be unnamed, but their large size (in comparison to other named islets in the vicinity) makes me unsure.

Anyway, anybody have access to highly detailed maps of this region and can tell me the name of these islands?

Thanks for your time.

I have attached an image of what they look like from space (NASA image):

Attached Files

• Attached File  dd.jpg   41.29KB   78 downloads

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

I have checked on the Atlas of Canada - Toprama map series, but to no avail. I suspect that they may be unnamed, but their large size (in comparison to other named islets in the vicinity) makes me unsure

I remember having the exact same difficulty with a map of Quebec I did recently. I cant tell from the Jpg image you posted, but the only Islands I ended up naming in Hudson's Bay was the Belcher Islands which are pretty conspicuous and rarely named anywhere. There is even a native village there called sanikiluaq.. I dont know if this helps.. Not a place I plan to visit in the near future- Great place for a Gulag though.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

sorry Zwirko
Ignore my previous entry. I lead you astray. A major sin for a map man.
I think you are refering to that cluster of islands that are a little south-east of the Twins Islands in James Bay. I have never seen them named and I did not find anything in a superficial search. I would suggest hunting it down in Quebec Government maps.
Welcome to Cartotalk by the way.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Zwirko

Zwirko

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Yep, south of the Twin Islands and not too far from the "Solomon's Temple Islands".

Unnamed islands are common in this part of the world, so I guess maybe this is indeed the case.

Thanks for looking ... it's appreciated.

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

I'd be interested in seeing the maps you made - I'm driving to the eastern shore of James Bay in March (Radisson, Chisasibi) . I'll look at my paper maps to see if I have anything for you , but I doubt it - I've only managed to find a few tourism maps of that region, and they are thin on content.

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

margaret

margaret

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • United States

there is some info in ADL, maybe this helps? here's a screenshot

Attached Files

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Canada

Zwirko

Ask a map man or woman where something is and they get obsessed with finding it!

Here is a reply I got from the gov. of Quebec on those island names. If you cant read French dont worry the relevant info is names and positions:

Bonjour Monsieur Rheault,

1- Seules les ?les en position d'estran peuvent ?tre consid?r?es comme faisant partie du territoire du Qu?bec, ? la condition qu'elles soient rattach?es ? la terre ferme ? mar?e basse; et il y en a tr?s peu. La partie qu?b?coise de cette entit? transfrontali?re s'?tend sur toute sa longueur du territoire qu?b?cois entre la pointe Louis-XIV au nord et l'entr?e de la Hannah Bay au sud-ouest. Les autres ?les sont toutes situ?es sur le territoire du Canada. Pour faciliter votre recherche, voici les feuillets que vous pourrez consulter : 32M/11; 32M/10; 32M/15; 33D/01; 33D/08; 33D/10; 33D/15; 33E/02; 33E/07; 33E/10; 33E/15; 32L/03; 32L/06; 32L/12

2- S'il s'agit des ?les situ?es dans la rivi?re Eastmain, nous avons trouv? les noms suivants avec leurs coordonn?es et feuillets

Astichikunisich, ?le 52? 01' 00" 78? 42' 00" 33D/02
Awipinikasich, ?le 52? 11' 00" 78? 33' 00" 33D/02
Emahkanikach, ?le 52? 02' 00" 78? 43' 00" 33D/02
Emiskushiwanikasich, ?le 52? 01' 00" 78? 44' 00" 33D/02
Kapachischenakun, ?le 52? 12' 00" 78? 34' 00" 33D/02
Uchimaw, ?le 52? 14' 00" 78? 34' 00" 33D/02
Wapimekw, ?le 52? 14' 00" 78? 35' 00" ]33D/02

Margaret,s find looks easier and is probably all you need
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Maybe for future reference....
place name search for Canada
http://gnss.nrcan.gc...ancedSearch.jsp
Chart

Zwirko

Zwirko

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

Thanks for the help guys ... nice to see other folks get obsessed too...

I did find a helpful resource at one of the Natural Resources Canada sites, specifically their Geoscience Data Repository at http://gdr.nrcan.gc.ca/ - a soure of some lovely maps. Anyway, on one map I saw that as a group, the islands are referred to as the "Strutton Islands".

JLRheault, great to see those pesky critters named. However, my maps do not have a detailed enough "resolution" to fit them all in ... so I guess "Strutton Is." will have to do. I'll keep the names handy for future reference one day.

MikeH, a good resource if planning a hike or too in that area would be: http://atlas.nrcan.g...h/maps/topo/map ... quite detailed (but a bit of a cramped interface even when "large size" is selected).

Thanks again.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Geographic names are also available in shapefile format by NTS tile sheet at Geobase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->