7 replies to this topic

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

I'm doing a small map for none for profit Trout Ulimited (http://www.neversinktu.org/) and I got a file from the NY State that is ArcCatalog file. I don't have ArcView. Can anyone open the file for me and save it in Shape format. I would e-mail the file to you since I can't put in the public forum. I'm making this map at no charge to Trout Unlimited.

paul

paul

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Running, telemark skiing, GIS
  • United States

I'm doing a small map for none for profit Trout Ulimited (http://www.neversinktu.org/) and I got a file from the NY State that is ArcCatalog file. I don't have ArcView. Can anyone open the file for me and save it in Shape format. I would e-mail the file to you since I can't put in the public forum. I'm making this map at no charge to Trout Unlimited.

I don't believe there is any file format called "ArcCatalog" file. Current ESRI data formats are shapefiles (.shp), Access geodatabase (.mdb), file geodatabase (.gdb), and SDE geodatabase (.sde). If you are unlucky, it may also be a coverage (just a folder with a bunch of gibberish inside) or an E00 (interchange format for coverages). Do any of these ring a bell?

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

It's a Access Geodatabase (.mdb) file.

I don't believe there is any file format called "ArcCatalog" file. Current ESRI data formats are shapefiles (.shp), Access geodatabase (.mdb), file geodatabase (.gdb), and SDE geodatabase (.sde). If you are unlucky, it may also be a coverage (just a folder with a bunch of gibberish inside) or an E00 (interchange format for coverages). Do any of these ring a bell?

patdunlavey

patdunlavey

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

There is a free translation package called FWTools (http://fwtools.maptools.org/) that includes a command line utility called ogr2ogr. This utiliity can extract coverages and tables from an Arc geodatabase file.

Here's a bit of how-to in response to a question about extracting National Hydrology Dataset data:

Put the FWTools/bin directory in your path, and then at the command line extract a layer like this:

ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" Basin.shp NHDM0102.mdb Basin

Where the syntax is
-f = output format
Basin.shp = output file name
NHDM0102.mbd = input file name
Basin = output layer name

You can find out what layers are available by using

ogrinfo NHDM0102.mdb

It's a Access Geodatabase (.mdb) file.

Pat Dunlavey
www.pdcarto.com

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Beaver,

Manifold can open data stored in a personal geodatabase format which is what this sounds like.

mg

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

How do you open it in Manifold?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

How do you open it in Manifold?

File - Import - Drawing
Select the .mdb file
The mdb import dialog comes up.
Select the table you want to import
Select the columns you want to import
Set the use pulldown list to "geometry column"
Set the geometry column to whatever the geometry column is called (is probabely automatically selected by default)
Set the type pulldown list to "Geometry (SHP)"

And presto.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Set the type pulldown list to "Geometry (SHP)"

That was the ticket. I tried it before without the (SHP) in Geometry pulldown and I was getting nothing. So I thought that the Manifold Import was the problem. Thanks Hans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->