1 reply to this topic

patdunlavey

patdunlavey

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

I just (re)discovered the offset stroke effect in Illustrator (10, CS2) and am (re)disappointed that it doesn't seem to work correctly for unclosed paths. If I want to do one of those Swiss road symbols that has a solid caseline on one side and a dashed caseline on the other, I can't do it, as far as I can tell, with Illustrator's offset stroke effect. When a path is not closed, the each offset stroke is wrapped around both sides of the path.

Am I missing some trick?
Pat Dunlavey
www.pdcarto.com

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

I just (re)discovered the offset stroke effect in Illustrator (10, CS2) and am (re)disappointed that it doesn't seem to work correctly for unclosed paths. If I want to do one of those Swiss road symbols that has a solid caseline on one side and a dashed caseline on the other, I can't do it, as far as I can tell, with Illustrator's offset stroke effect. When a path is not closed, the each offset stroke is wrapped around both sides of the path.

Am I missing some trick?

I'm affraid that you don't but I'm still hoping that someone has neat workaround of this problem. This is where OCAD (my primary cartographic tool) really shines but if I want to place a nice border with solid line and transparent offset fill everything falling apart. An Illustator solution would be nice.

Lui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->