benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Looking for data, chart, or map on point source CO2 emissions. Maybe just in the 48 contiguous states... or heck, even just one state that produces a lot of power (and CO2).

Richard Branson just announced a $25m prize to the best solution to removing 1 billion tonnes of CO2 per year. My bet is he will get lots of high-tech but non-implementable strategies. I'm just curious to see what the highest point-source of CO2 emissions in the US is (in terms of power plants I guess). Erin?

Geographic Techniques

Geographic Techniques

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • United States

Erin,

First place I would start is at the Carbon Dioxide Analysis Center:

CDIAC

They may have data you can download (at least they used to). Good luck, and don't forget about me when you win the big prize!
Douglas Norgord, Geographic Techniques
www.geotechmap.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I suggest also the US EPA's STORET database. It has point sources and their discharges (water/air) by year.

Inspired by Sir Branson's 25 mil challenge? :D

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Thanks guys, I'll check out STORET. From what I can see of CDIAC, the most recent dataset is 1990. But that's only about 10 mins of searching on the site.

Hey, doesn't Nick need some money for hosting Cartotalk? Let's all band together, solve the problem, and win $25 million for CartoTalk. I suggest a key portion be spent on yearly conference, all-expenses paid, for all Cartotalk members, at a location voted on by 2/3 majority :)

BTW, it has to be a _commercially viable_ solution, e.g. self-sustaining, e.g. profitable. But hey, considering all the stories I've heard lately about companies running "innovation" challenges, awarding $1000 to the best, and then 3-5 years later coming out with that exact product - well, $25 mil ain't bad!

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I'm just curious to see what the highest point-source of CO2 emissions in the US is (in terms of power plants I guess). Erin?

Ben,
I created this CO2 emissions map several months ago. I believe it shows exactly what you are looking for and more. I'm sure you understand why I can't just send you the data. I didn't provide any kind of "top ten" list, but the information is there for those who seek it. It's easy enough to pin-point the high emitters, but the heart of the matter lies in the current system of allowances...especially when you start looking at NO2 and SO2. A good place to start your data search and gain valuable insight into the various programs is at the EPA. You will find this page very useful. Erin.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Erin - very nice product (what we call a 'measle map' :) ). Wondering if you can speak about the data you used.

Are the reported amounts of carbon from sources the true amount, or is it sometimes adjusted to account for existing offsets (pollution trading)? A lot of offset projects (IMHO) are total bunk, so showing the 'actual' emissions is ideal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->