5 replies to this topic

Jason S

Jason S

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Hello everyone,

I recently came across this site and have been really impressed by the quality and breadth of the information shared here. I particularly like the fact that not only are cartographic techniques discussed, but also general topics about the business of mapping.

As a bit of background, I have a B.S. in Computer Systems Engineering, and the majority of my work has been developing enterprise Java case record management systems for state and local courts. I first became of "aware" of GIS and cartography when the company I work at was merged with one whose core business consisted of GIS/LIS operations. I thought the subject area was interesting and that it would behoove me to learn a little bit more, so I enrolled in a certificate program at a local college (Montgomery College, Rockville, MD). I finished the requirements for the certificate program last summer.

I have had the opportunity to work on a couple of GIS projects involving products from ESRI and other tools. Unfortunately, I have not had any opportunities to really exercise and develop my cartography skills in a professional environment (I was on the technical end of things for those projects, and the cartographer just passed down already created designs and styles).

I am particularly interested in learning more about analytical cartography and data visualization, but I think I need to work on developing my ability in the "basics" first. I would like to build up my portfolio with an eye towards offering my services in a volunteer capacity for nonprofit organizations. Eventually I would like to be able to moonlight as a freelance cartographer or find employment with an organization where I can use not only my software engineering experience, but my GIS and cartography skills as well.

You can see some of my work at my website. I would appreciate any critiques, advice, or recommendations anyone feels like making.

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Welcome Jason! This is a great resource for getting started.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Hi Jason, and welcome... you've come to the right place! I hope to check out your website soon.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Jason,

Welcome to the forum and stick around...!

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Welcome.

The trilateration poster is interesting. I wonder where the signpost from M*A*S*H (the old tv show) would end up?
The Asia Minor black and white map is well done.
The image interpretation and building extraction exercises are interesting, too.
One criticism is on the image interpretation map I would make sure the grid labels have even round numbers, unless there is a specific reason not to. Question the defaults :D (Also, the north arrow could probably be a bit smaller so it's not crowded against the frame and grid. At least you removed the default "Legend" title :D )
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Welcome Jason.
I personally like the Asia Minor black and white map.
Chart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->