ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Hey everyone,
I'm interested in learning how to create dynamic mapping applications. I've created online maps using basic Flash actionscripts and HTML, but I would like to learn how to populate my maps with data from a database. Where to begin learning about databases? The sheer number of choices is a bit overwhelming (and I'm not a programmer!) PHP/mysql seems to be a good place to begin? Erin

miles

miles

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

I would like to learn how to populate my maps with data from a database

I am also interested. If somebody could give me some keywords to help me research this topic I would love it.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Well, you can do things in Flash, which can also be a client to a map server. The important thing here is to have a special map server that renders the map views from a (huge) body of GIS data, where that data can not only reside in e.g. shape files, but also be served from a data service.

Common map server software here are ArcIMS (ESRI) or MapServer (OpenSource), and the data server software can be for instance ArcSDE (ESRI), Oracle Spatial or PostGIS (open source).

I think Manifold includes some more simple map server software solution, so you have access to that, that could be a starting point.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,861 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I thought this one was quite interesting:

ALOV

And of course there's the Minnesota Mapserver:

Minnesota Mapserver

At the moment I'm working with some German contacts to see if we can reach an agreement on the development and sale of their mapserver. It'll work on Apache, PHP and MySQL.

I tried PostGIS, several times, but couldn't get it to work. On Windows, it has to be installed on Cygwin, with PostgreSQL and the PostGIS extension. No luck. Standard MySQL, after a certain version, supports spatial datatypes without any problem.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I've played around with ALOV and found it simple to use with some programming skills.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

ajturner

ajturner

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

The sheer number of choices is a bit overwhelming (and I'm not a programmer!) PHP/mysql seems to be a good place to begin? Erin

PHP/MySQL is probably the most prevalent, and in my opinion easiest, solution. It allows you to really make anything you want, and then fairly easily glue it all together.

I've made several mapping applications (http://highearthorbit.com/maps) for displaying blog posts, travel, photos, etc.

However, you'll have to get into some programming (sorry). If you give me an idea of what you'd like to do, maybe I can start you off with some suggestions/pointers.

JimBlakeslee

JimBlakeslee

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Interactive Map Applications: Flash, MySQL, PHP, etc.
  • United States

I also use a "PHP/MySQL/Flash" stack for my work.

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

As a long-time amateur programmer familiar with ASP and PHP, I would be more interested in hearing how you can pass any database information into Flash. Any good books/websites/resources on this?

ajturner

ajturner

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States
You can see Mark Zeeman's Flash map which uses either a text file or a Web-database via php:

http://www.allthegoo...s/map/index.php

I think you can get his flash source (may be a small, one-time fee).

Andy

Stacey Martin

Stacey Martin

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Atlas publishing, interactive and print mapping.
  • United States

Hello everyone,

In line with earlier questions, I'm beginning an application in MapServer (have little programming experience myself but working with an experienced programmer) and was wondering if there were any examples out there that showed maps rendered as the result of a database query? Meaning, the user creates a query based on a set of of text filters, then the map is built based on that query.

Most applications I've seen are classic interactive modules where by the user navigates through the map (turning on and off layers), clicks on a "query" button, clicks on the desired feature, and then a new window pops up full of information (or they link to a new page).

Thanks,
Stacey

l.jegou

l.jegou

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Webmapping, thematical mapping.
  • France

Hello, many examples of database-driven interactive maps based on MapServer and PostGis, the spatial cartridge of the RDBMS PostgreSQL, are listed on the MapServer Galery : http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/gallery

GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. I'm currently thinking about a number of possibilities for an interactive mapserver and would like to know if anyone has used any Asp.Net components? I've located a few, but the cost seems to be more than I'm willing to spend at this point. I do like the look a feel of some Flash products and am seriously considering going that route. I'm not sure how well that may/may not integrate into a ASP.Net environment.

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • United States

Just wanted to follow up on this thread.  I'm currently thinking about a number of possibilities for an interactive mapserver and would like to know if anyone has used any Asp.Net components?  I've located a few, but the cost seems to be more than I'm willing to spend at this point.  I do like the look a feel of some Flash products and am seriously considering going that route.  I'm not sure how well that may/may not integrate into a ASP.Net environment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Paul are you evaluating existing products and platforms to see which will fit best, or are you thinking about develpoing your own?

Are you locked into (or do you prefer) ASP.NET?

GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

Paul are you evaluating existing products and platforms to see which will fit best, or are you thinking about develpoing your own?

I'm currently evaluating existing products and platforms. I have thought about developing my own, but I'd rather not go down this road right now. I have no problem doing any supplemental programming to provide the necessary functionality.

Are you locked into (or do you prefer) ASP.NET?

ASP.NET would be the ideal platform, but I'm certainly not locked into using it. I've done some sites where I've integrated a PHP based forum, such as this one, with a ASP.NET shell. It worked out pretty well and the look and feel was maintained.

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • United States

I see. I can't respond to your question regarding ASP.Net components, but I am interested in what function this mapserver will serve. Where and how will it be used? What information will be displayed? If you answered these questions, though, I have to warn you I will only use your answers to suggest a non-Microsoft solution :) Not that there is anything wrong with Microsoft or ASP.Net.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->