• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Polaris

Polaris

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Making maps and data graphics!<br />Paddling<br />Hiking<br />Gardening<br />Natural Philosophy<br />Loved Ones
  • United States

I have a client who wants me to redesign and make improvements to a multi-purpose map reading tool that he sells.

I have uploaded a PDF of the tool to ftp://getdown:polaris@polarismaps.com

It is printed on transparent plastic.

The filename is 'FINAL maptool.indd.pdf'.

I do not consider myself an expert on map tool creation or use, and have made this clear to my client. That said he still wants me to do the work. I suggested that we could benefit from some consulting from a hard core orienteering type out there to learn more about how to make the 'ultimate' map tool.

If anyone feels qualified and would like to take this on, please let me know and give me an idea of your hourly rates.

Of course, if anyone wants to just kibbitz, or offer free advice on the MapTool - feel free! It will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Eric

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

I am by far not an expert but here are few ideas.

Magnetic declination is important for map orienteering.
So maybe consider a small adhesive strip that can be placed on the Compass.

Here is link I found on calculations.
http://www.ngdc.noaa...Declination.jsp

Also a friend of mine owns a shop that produces numerous topo. maps for hunters, fisherman etc...
He includes on his maps a dual system (metric and imperial) distance bar on the side of his maps to help out with elevation conversion (not sure how relevant this could be for US users). On your sample there is a unit = unit approach, but maybe a bar is more user friendly?.
http://www.jlcgeo.com/map/xk.php (look a sample and pan to the right side, its not very visible but it gives you an idea).

Good luck with your project.
Chart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->