• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Anne Knowles

Anne Knowles

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Does anyone have a good approach for making graceful, pointed arrowheads in ArcMap? Thanks!
AKnowles

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

When you are setting the visual properties for lines in the symbology tab for the Layer Properties, click on the symbol and you will enter the Symbol Selector window. Click on Properties which takes you to the Symbol Property Editor window and select the Line Properties tab. Choose if you want an arrowhead on the start or end (or both ends) of the line and click Properties. Now you will enter the Line Decoration Editor window where you can click on the Symbol button and enter the Symbol Selector Window.

Now you can choose the type of symbol (arrowhead) to put on your line. I found some arrowheads in the Dimension Symbol Set - but you could dig around for others. Now you can close the 5 windows that you have had to open to change the look of an arrowhead!

If you are looking for something elegant, export to Illustrator. :lol:

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

If the default symbology doesn't meet your needs, you can make a correct one in AI, save it as an EMF or BMP, then use this symbol in Arcmap.

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

There is another font called ESRI Arrowhead that gets installed with ArcGIS, it has some additional styles of arrowheads (many more than the dimensioning font). The trick to using these is to click Properties on the line decorations portion of the Symbol Property Editor. Click the Symbol button on the next dialog, which gives you a symbol selector. The default arrowhead is a specialized class of marker symbol that we failed to allow you to edit, so click on any of the character marker symbols, and then click the Properties button.

Then change the font to ESRI Arrowhead and pick one. (if you don't like any of them, follow Chris's guidance).

The one advantage to these arrowheads is that they are pre-oriented left and right, so choose based on that and they work well.

If you want to make something else, note how these are oriented as that will be important to getting your custom work to perform properly.
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

cboat7

cboat7

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

[quote name='Charlie Frye' date='Jan 26 2007, 09:20 PM' post='9806']
There is another font called ESRI Arrowhead ...

Charlie, This is a nice collection of symbols and they work well for many applications. But I've tried a few of the arrowhead characters, adjusting the properties as much as possible and they seem to sit the same way at the end of a bold line: the line extends up to the point of the arrow - or at least beyond the center of the arrow symbol. One can see the end of the line extending up to or near the arrowhead point. (Not pointy B) )

I think the basic problem as I see it is that the arrowhead rotates on an axis that is the center of the marker symbol. What we need is an arrow symbol that the _base_ of the arrow connects to the end of the line and that rotates around a point at the base of the arrowhead.

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

I think the basic problem as I see it is that the arrowhead rotates on an axis that is the center of the marker symbol. What we need is an arrow symbol that the _base_ of the arrow connects to the end of the line and that rotates around a point at the base of the arrowhead.

This might work for you ...

What I've done in the past is have a separate layer for arrowheads. Digitize the lines you need and symbolise them so they are as wide are you need them then make yourself a layer of points. Set the snapping to the endpoints of the lines and add a point where you want the arrowhead to be. Now this is the science part ... ;) ... you might have to stop editing to do this but you will need to add a field in the attribute table called "rotate" or something like that and make sure that it is an integer. Go back to your points and symbolise them with an arrow symbol (I use Wingdings3) and in the point layer properties, click on the advanced tab, and then on rotation. In the little window that appears tell ArcMap to rotate the points by the angle in you rotation field. Start editing the points again, select one at a time and then you can use the rotate tool to angle the arrow to match the line. You'll probably have to fiddle with the point size or line width to get them to match but it works not to bad.

Alternatively, export to Illustrator ... :rolleyes: !

Lori Martin

Lori Martin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Canada

We had the same issue and used cartographic representations to create the arrows.

When you create the representation, you will have a line and a marker that make the arrow.

You should have the "Angle to Line" box checked for the marker symbol and the "Begin position" and End position" should be set to "0". This is all done in the Marker properties.

When you place the arrows you will start "digitizing" at the end of the arrow and end at the marker symbol.

It's a bit of a work around but it worked.

Good luck.
Lori Anne Martin,
St. Catharines, Ontario
Canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->