• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Just had to dig this map up from a couple of years ago for a client sample and though some of you may be interested.

Created a DEM from a B&W photo of a brain from the angle I was after with lots of layers, blurring and inner/outer glow layer effects. From this dem I generated contours by using Photoshops Trace Contour filter and auto-traced them to get vectors. I know not ideal but I had never generated contours and altough a reasonable knowlege of the concepts behind a gis had never really worked in the software.

From here I made the Hyposometric Relief image and drew the imagainary loctions over the top in Illustrator. Was nice having the dem availible to quickly throw the map over the dem and be able to see the lay of the land in 3d from different angles. Biggest problem was getting a feel for scale which was meant to simulate a NZ 1:50k topo map.

Hi Res

Posted Image
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

That's a great map. What's the story behind "Lake Jib"? Is that a real lake or is it fictitious? I love the name. What did the client think of the map?

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

congratulations - it looks gorgeous!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Looks great. Zoomed in it's easy to lose sight of the fact that it's actually a brain. :D
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

That's a great map. What's the story behind "Lake Jib"? Is that a real lake or is it fictitious? I love the name. What did the client think of the map?

All the names where fictitious, some obviously where based on the geography (Three Peaks, Centre Branch etc), some based on friends (Dylan, Paige), SOme based on experience/places (Bunkers Plateau), some Maori words (Aroha, Hoa)...and ass for Lake Jib?not quite sure about that one?!

As for client got the most amusing email feedback I think I've had - That looks f****ing great. :lol:

Was def a fun and rewarding map to do. As I said budge didn't allow more work and as it was I prob spent more time on it than I should of?well than I economically should of but was worth it in my opinion.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Was def a fun and rewarding map to do. As I said budge didn't allow more work and as it was I prob spent more time on it than I should of?well than I economically should of but was worth it in my opinion.

We all have projects like that sometimes, but if you get a good-looking result out of it, and a happy client, it's all worth it.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Yea looks great. Love the concept too. It inspired me to think one of these days I ,ll do a map of my own brain. The area 'interest in women' I'll call Lake Chad because it is drying up fast as a result of Global Aging. There will also probably be large swaths labeled 'Unexplored' and clutered with plenty of little medieval drawings of imaginary things.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->