• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

Hello All
A surveyor in Tasmania - 'just off the Australian coast'. I've always had an interest in maps - as a little tacker I used to hand draw maps now graduated to PC and Mapublisher/ AICS, Manifold, and CanvasX -GIS.
I've been particularly taken with relief maps using shading methods - easily accomplished the old way with coloured pencils and a bit of finger smudgeing but not yet nutted it out in PC mode.
Main map work is for local Rivercare group but also prefer to present many of my plans in 'map' form as they are far more appealing.
This site is very ineteresting, thanks for all contributors.
regards Richard Sands

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hello Richard, and welcome to Cartotalk!
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

I've been particularly taken with relief maps using shading methods - easily accomplished the old way with coloured pencils and a bit of finger smudgeing but not yet nutted it out in PC mode.

Have you seen Tom Patterson's work? Relief Shading (although, I think he uses a Mac, so your statement might not be far off) :D
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

Have you seen Tom Patterson's work? Relief Shading (although, I think he uses a Mac, so your statement might not be far off) :D

Thanks Dave, Those maps look very familiar. I did a search on relief shading a while back and saw some fantastic results. Unfortunately I havent had the time to sit down and get my teeth into it. I note many use Photoshop. I started graphics in Corel Draw then needed AI for something and opted to buy only AI - was offered the package deal including Photoshop at good price but turned it down - one of my laments in life. I have Photoshop Elements 4 but not sure that would give me similar results? As said I am very new to this side of things, but this site offers so much.
regards Richard

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Welcome Richard!

I have a question related to shaded relief - that I always wanted to ask someone who lives dep in the Southern hemisphere. Do you folks mostly interpret shaded relief with a light source in the NW (as is typical) leaving shadows in the East and SE - or do you have light coming from the SE?

I don't think this is the same type of question as which way the water circulates when you flush the toilet - but thought you might perceive elevation differently south of the equator.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Welcome to the forum Richard.

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Australia

Welcome Richard!

I have a question related to shaded relief - that I always wanted to ask someone who lives dep in the Southern hemisphere. Do you folks mostly interpret shaded relief with a light source in the NW (as is typical) leaving shadows in the East and SE - or do you have light coming from the SE?

I don't think this is the same type of question as which way the water circulates when you flush the toilet - but thought you might perceive elevation differently south of the equator.

I checked with our photogrammetry/ mapmakers in Tas Government - this is their reply
'Yes, ?on our maps depicting shaded relief the light source is always in the NW'
regards Richard

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Welcome Richard!

CartoTalk has been a WONDERFUL resource for me over the past several months....and I hope you find it to be of as much value as I have. B)
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Australia

Thanks for all the warm welcome and yes I can see it is an excellent resource of information.
regards Richard

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

But they do hold their maps upside down, since it is on down-side of the globe.

I have seen it here: http://flourish.org/upsidedownmap/

:)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Australia

[/quote]

But they do hold their maps upside down, since it is on down-side of the globe.

I have seen it here: http://flourish.org/upsidedownmap/

:)
[/quote]
whoa back there - not 'they', but 'some'. Thats interesting though - I'm always amused when I give a plan to someone and tell them it 'sits this way up' and they look at it, turn it 90 degrees, then 270 and so on till they get totally confused. I was once asked to make a map of our town for the local visitor centre and they wanted it drawn so the people behind the counter could look at it and give directions to those asking the questions. Ie it was upside down, with north pointing down the page. It 'had to be drawn that way' and despite my words of advice the customer got what they asked for. The poor visitors must have left the centre convinced of their destination, taken the map and re-oriented it so they could read the writing and you can guess the rest. :rolleyes: The second batch was conventional much to everyones relief.
So yes we Aussies have our share of quirks.
Regards Richard

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

In the Southern Hemisphere, light at least comes from the northwest in the afternoon. It's rather bizarre to have this as the convention north of the Equator, where shading of this type (with a 45-degree sun angle) can never actually occur.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

You know you are a map nerd, when you discuss the shading conventions with other people that under stand what you are yapping about... :)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

In the Southern Hemisphere, light at least comes from the northwest in the afternoon. It's rather bizarre to have this as the convention north of the Equator, where shading of this type (with a 45-degree sun angle) can never actually occur.

This is easy to fix, just swivel the north arrow so the map reads that the sun is in the SE at 45 degrees and say "good morning!"

Welcome Richard!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->