Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

On the theory that the only embarrassing question is the one you were too timid to ask. . .

I guess I don't know where to look for basic Census data tables. One of my clients wants a choropleth map of household income by tract for the Chicago area. Can someone point me to the right corner of the Census website?
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Eventually found what I was looking for on a local COG website.

But also found this step-by-step guide for tapping census.gov:
http://gis.esri.com/...s/educ_1628.pdf
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

Binghamton University has an excellent site for viewing and downloading Census Data from 2000:

http://censusmap.binghamton.edu

Make sure you turn off your popup blocker before using the site:

Rich

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

Can someone point me to the right corner of the Census website?

Dennis,

I usually start at this website the American Fact Finder from the Census; on the left side there is a link "data sets" that is a great gateway to all their data. The system takes a little while to learn, but you can completely customize reports and have them saved in Excel format with a key field ready for joining to map geometry.

rj

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

Dennis,

Your Maps and Data CD that came with ArcView has the Tract boundaries and IDs. That file contains some basic demographic data. Downloading the data you need from the DADs site is possible, but for Chicago that would take a few rather tedious hours. I did this for Redlands' block groups a few years ago and it took a couple of hours.

If you don't have that much time and your client is willing to pay, you can request a quote from the Tapestry data website. You can request just the demographic statistic and geographic area you need. I've never tried it and don't know what the pricing would be--but its an option. The Tapestry data comes at the census tract and ZIP code levels of geography.

Has anybody tried this?
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Dennis - I have been using census (US and others) for years, and as a first recommendation I would say to get yourself over to the US Census website and become familiar with the data products. It may seem a little confusing at first but what you essentially want from them are (1) current tract polygons for Chicago and (2) Avg household income data table (you will need Summary File 3). If you have the current ESRI Maps & Data CD, you then have the tract boundaries, but this contains solely demographics sans income.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->