araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:GIS/MAPSERVER/OSSIM/GDAL
  • United States

Hi all.
I have been scouring the net for the last few hours looking for Aerial Imagery for Kenya.

A few of my coworkers are getting involved in ENGINEERS WITHOUT BORDERS. I had only heard of Doctors Without Borders, but apparantly they just got off the ground about a year ago.

Anyways, the local chapter here in Sacramento is working on Sewage/Water/Wastewater design and engineering for the town of Kakamega, Kenya. I am tring to see if I can get them some Aerials and Hydro data sets to see before hand. They're pretty serious about this and it seems that the ASCE organization is going to put some money into getting some airfare to go there and see it first hand.

I have some of the basic data sets I need(roads, rivers) but no Landsat/MODIS or anything. I am trying for anything that is at the very least 10m.

Thanks a lot
Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Raster is Faster, but Vector is Corrector.

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

landsat or modis will not provide the resolution you need. and it appears that Google Earth is using some landsat, so that's no help either.

I would suggest that the organization seek a partnership/sponsership with Digital Globe or Ikonos as an imagery partner for the good work they will do. I used to work at a NGO and companies would pull through on requests like that if they thought there was value, both in the project, and in how they could use it to further market their company.

sorry I don't have the magic data link, just a thought....

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

IRS is in the 5-10m range but not free. It is borderline affordable for archival imagery....~$1500/scene)

Aster VNIR or Landat Pan is 15m and very affordable but not free for recent imagery and Landsat ETM (7) has some serious flaws due to line scan anomaly.

m

araki5

araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:GIS/MAPSERVER/OSSIM/GDAL
  • United States

This is turning out to be tougher than I thought. I looked at World Food Programme, the UN station in Mombasa, and some other sites, but no go. I may just go and see if IKONOS or Digital Globe may want to throw in some datasets.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Raster is Faster, but Vector is Corrector.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Kenyan land survey /NMA? Local city government?

You can also contact my colleagues at UNEP/DEWA/GRID in Nairobi, give Johannes Akiwumi there a call.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->