4 replies to this topic

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • United States

I'm not quite sure how I never stumbled upon this site before, but I'm glad that I did! What a great resource.

So, about me: I'm a graduate student at Western Washington University enrolled in a self-designed program combining elements from Cultural Resource Management and Geography. I kind of fell into GIS by accident and found that it played well with my undergraduate skill-set developed at Arizona State University's College of Architecture. My interests are primarily in historic preservation and cultural resource interpretation and I love how graphic design can fold into those academic areas.

I'm currently working on my first 24x36 map/poster that has genereated a lot of interest among classmates and professors, and will be sending a short 1000 sheet run to press soon. I hope to be able to get it into local bookstores and outdoor recreation shops around town (its a local interest piece). If that doesn't work out, I'll be selling them outside the weekend farmers market one at a time! I've also just wrapped up a historic property inventory update for the National Park Service at Ebey's Landing NHR here in Washington. The project involved digitizing an older hardcopy inventory and making it accessible for mass distribution. The final product was written in standard HTML (with the intent being that anyone can view it without plugins, etc. Though flash would have opened some doors!) and is being distributed on CDs to local libraries and schools, museums, etc. Though it wasn't built specifially for online deployment (as in the graphics are not web optimized), I have it hosted at www.cartogaia.com/Ebey if anyone wants to take a look. Feedback/criticizm is much appreciated.

So thats me in two paragraphs. I look forward to spending lots of quality time here in the future.

-adam

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi and welcome! The Ebey map looks very nice... !
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Welcome Adam. I just discovered this site recently too and its a beautiful thing. I also like the colors you chose on the Eby map.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Adam,
Welcome to Cartotalk.

The site you put together contains nice maps and is simple to use. I like the 1983-2006 photo layouts. It makes things very easy to compare. The cartography is very nice and not overwhelmed with text. I like your use of red transparency to depict boundaries. Yes Flash would open doors, however you have done a nice job using a universal html layout.

Suggestions:
A slight overlap (10%) between map sections could facilitate navigation along with an overview. The Coupeville map as an apparent lower resolution?

Regards,
Chart

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the feedback and comments. In regards to the map color, its the result of several blended layers: a natural(ish) color airphoto, shaded lidar relief, and a yellow-blue elevation gradient. The end result is close to the color palette you would find in the landscape in the late afternoon.

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->