5 replies to this topic

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

Is there a way to limit the amont of undo's in Map Pub? I notice in the lower left it keeps a running tally of available undos, based on every thing you "do".

223 Undos; no Redos

I'm curious if this contributes to the slow response - after a couple of hundred of "do's" is it keeping all of those in buffer? Yet it cannot redo past the point of your last save.

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Mike,

Good question. I've wondered about this myself.

I believe the undo in the bottom left corner is a component of Illustrator, not Mapubisher. I opened up the aiprefs file and on line 3160 I found the following code: /maxUndoDepth 200

Perhaps this how you can the number of undo's available? I would copy your aiprefs file before making any changes just to be careful.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Michael,

There is no such thing as a MAPublisher undo function. That's Illy...

Hmmm... Older versions have a max undo setting in the preferences dialog, but it's not available anymore in CS2... WTF?!?!?! Looks like the aiprefs hack is the only way to reduce it. Theoretically, this would certainly reduce the amount of memory needed.

I don't really see the point of having so many undo's... It's impracitcal and my personal experience is that if I have a maximum of N undo's, I always realize I need to go N+1 steps back... <_<
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

If you search the latest Mapublisher documentation you will find a short blurb on how reducing the number of undo's will help with memory issues, along with other tips like using a dedicated scratch disk.
Editing the aiprefs file is a fairly simple process. All you need to do is search your system for "aiprefs", open the file in a text editor, search the file for "undo", decide how many undo levels you feel comfortable with and save the file. If Illy starts acting up after the changes (wrong edit or whatever) just delete the aiprefs file. Illy will create a fresh one on your next startup.

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

If you search the latest Mapublisher documentation you will find a short blurb on how reducing the number of undo's will help with memory issues, along with other tips like using a dedicated scratch disk.
Editing the aiprefs file is a fairly simple process. All you need to do is search your system for "aiprefs", open the file in a text editor, search the file for "undo", decide how many undo levels you feel comfortable with and save the file. If Illy starts acting up after the changes (wrong edit or whatever) just delete the aiprefs file. Illy will create a fresh one on your next startup.

Not on a Mac. Look for a folder "Adobe Illustrator CS2 Settings" (or "Adobe Illustrator CS Settings"). The file in question is called "Adobe Illustrator Prefs." Open with TextEdit or equivalent. The exact code is:

/undoDepth 5
/maxUndoDepth 200

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

This board rocks! There is no possible way I would have figured that out on my own. Thanks for the insight.

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->