ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Does anyone know the URL where I can submit a feature request to the Mapublisher wishlist?

I've noticed that closing the MP Attributes palette speeds up Illustrator significantly... especially when you have a ton of features. It would be great if there was a light-weight "info" tool that could give you a single attribute (based on a column determined by the user) for a point, line, or polygon feature. Does this feature already exist and I'm not seeing it?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Does anyone know the URL where I can submit a feature request to the Mapublisher wishlist?

I think they have a special mailbox setup for that: wishlist@avenza.com (but you can also try info@avenza.com)

I've noticed that closing the MP Attributes palette speeds up Illustrator significantly... especially when you have a ton of features. It would be great if there was a light-weight "info" tool that could give you a single attribute (based on a column determined by the user) for a point, line, or polygon feature. Does this feature already exist and I'm not seeing it?

Doesn't exist yet, and it would be very nice indeed. You could abuse the Map Tagger tool for this, but then you'd have to go through the trouble of making a special text layer for it and deleting any unwanted texts afterwards, so it's not exactly a viable option.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

This is a very good idea and we have definitely put it on our todo list.

I think they have a special mailbox setup for that: wishlist@avenza.com (but you can also try info@avenza.com)

Doesn't exist yet, and it would be very nice indeed. You could abuse the Map Tagger tool for this, but then you'd have to go through the trouble of making a special text layer for it and deleting any unwanted texts afterwards, so it's not exactly a viable option.

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

The only thing that I noticed was that in the new 7.2 version the MP palettes are opened individually.

This seems like an old wishlist form... probably the same destination has the email mentioned by Hans

http://www.avenza.co...s.wishlist.html
Chart

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Thanks Hans. I'll submit my request (doubt I'm the first) and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the link Jacques.

Ted,
Great to see you around the forum! Yes, an MP info tool would be great. Thanks for responding. I guess there is no need for me to submit the request. Erin

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Hans,

The map tagger approach actually works fairly well as long you undo as you go. good one.

Claude

Claude

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • United States

I have another feature request....i love the map view menu palette but i wish that the preview that shows map placement on the page would show an actual preview image instead of the minty green rectangle. I wonder if they could do a quick snapshot of the map features so you could move around a thumbnail of the map instead (just like the print preview in Illustrator)?
Oh yeah, one more thing about the map view window-when map features are bigger than the document, the mint-angle covers up the page borders. It would be cool if there was a dotted line rectangle overlaying the page preview.
Platts, a div. of McGraw-Hill
www.maps.platts.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I have another feature request....
i love the map view menu palette but i wish that the preview that shows map placement on the page would show an actual preview image instead of the minty green rectangle. I wonder if they could do a quick snapshot of the map features so you could move around a thumbnail of the map instead (just like the print preview in Illustrator)?

I would love that as well, thought about it many times. It's too bad that MAPublisher 7.3 was announced just earlier today... that means we'll have to wait longer to see this happen.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

This seems like an old wishlist form... probably the same destination has the email mentioned by Hans

It is the old wishlist form, but transplanted onto the new website when we switched over a little while back. I just checked, and you're right, the form just compiles up your wishlist request and forwards it to the email address. So either should work.

Heh, it's one of the great things about working on MAPublisher. Never a shortage of things to add! Just a shortage of time to do them in :P
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

I have another feature request....i love the map view menu palette but i wish that the preview that shows map placement on the page would show an actual preview image instead of the minty green rectangle. I wonder if they could do a quick snapshot of the map features so you could move around a thumbnail of the map instead (just like the print preview in Illustrator)?

Believe it or not, that was something we wanted in as far back as when the MAP View Editor was dreamed up. Unfortunately, there are a few technical hurdles to overcome to make it work; for example, it can be quite a performance & memory hit to rasterize the artboard, depending on the amount of art & the size of the extents.

That said, that doesn't mean it won't make it in someday. Typically things like this sit in the backs of our heads and sort of churn quietly in the background. Sometimes something changes in the Illustrator API, or we just have a brain wave and suddenly a long desired feature is workable. There's at least a couple of long-time requested features that have had this happen lately & are going to find their way into an upcoming release (as soon as I can make time to formalize them -- they're both still proof-of-concept state right now). So you never know!

Oh yeah, one more thing about the map view window-when map features are bigger than the document, the mint-angle covers up the page borders. It would be cool if there was a dotted line rectangle overlaying the page preview.

That's a good idea actually. I'm planning on rewriting the preview pane of the MAP View Editor in the near feature for the next major release, so I'll see if I can't work that in. It's purely aesthetic, so as long as I can figure how to make the toolkit do it, it shouldn't be a problem :)
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

Claude

Claude

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the response, Andrew. I guess the problem with using a screenshot (a la alt/print screen) is that you wouldn't know what the boundaries of the image would be. hmmm.
Platts, a div. of McGraw-Hill
www.maps.platts.com

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

Thanks for the response, Andrew. I guess the problem with using a screenshot (a la alt/print screen) is that you wouldn't know what the boundaries of the image would be. hmmm.

Actually, we have the extents -- calculating that is where most of the work is when loading the MAP View Editor. If you ever see a progress bar while opening the editor, it's because of that calculation (though we really reduced that a few versions ago).

Given that, we're hesitant to add additional overhead to loading the editor. Understandably, people get annoyed when they have to wait for that one to open :) Still, while I've been writing this I've had a couple of ideas. I probably won't get a chance to try it in the near future, but maybe after the next release I can play around. Right after releases is when I usually have the time to mess around with R & D, while we're getting ready for whatever project's next. I'll file this one in my 'heap of things to try' pile!
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->