• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

lynr

lynr

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

I am trying to import symbology from a layer file that has multiple values in it. It won't work. I have looked on the ESRI site and other seem to have the same problems. Is there anyone out there with programming skills (I have barely any of those skills) that might be able to help me? I have tried everything and our programmers are a little busy. I am working in 9.1.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Tell me about it. What exactly are you trying to do? What error do you get, etc?

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

More explanation would help... I'll give a stab at it though... to me, it sounds like you are trying to import a Graduated Color scheme from a saved layer file to apply to a new layer in a map. The one problem I always encounter with this is in defining the right variable - I go to the Symbology tab, click Import, choose the Layer file, and then get the pop-up about which variable should be used for the values. It shows you the variable name as defined in the layer file, and then a drop-down of available variables in your current layer. Even though ArcGIS automatically fills in the field, it may not be the correct variable - in my case, the variable name always changes, and I have to go searching for cryptic field names like STPOP_23.

lynr

lynr

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Attached File  watermain1.jpg   190.74KB   93 downloadsI am working on a water utility map which has several sizes of watermain. The files are separate databases for several areas of a county. however we wish all of the maps to have the same colors and linetypes. the watermain feature is joined to another table which has pressure gradients and the colors associated with it.
I have where the diameter of the main is the first value and the color associate with it and the pressure of the water is another., See image attached. I have saved this out to a layer file so i can use the same colors and linetype for other parts of the county. however, when i import the lyr. file. It does not want to work. I have looked all over the ESRI site and there is no fix as far as I can see.
Have looked at the forums and this is the closest that I have gotten
http://forums.esri.c...t=126632#428834
anyone else?, I have up to 96 inches of diameters and 6 water colors. I don't like having to redo them all the time

danielle

danielle

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

I would try the following:

- Load or duplicate the already-symbolized layer in your map document.
- Change the source of this layer to the new data file.
- Save this as a new LYR file so you can reuse it.

You would end up with a separate LYR file for each data set. Not very elegant, but better than constructing new symbology for each file from scratch. It would nice if you could edit the LYR file in a text editor.

-Danielle

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

Danielle has it right--though just make sure your new data has the same field names as were used in your original layer. If your data doesn't have those fields, then add them and copy/calculate the data values into them.

On the programatic side there's no easy way to do this since the renderers (object classes for a symbology method) have already done the work and your layers/layer files don't carry all the information that was used. Therefore, they cannot reconstruct the multi-variate symbology you had. Thus, the only thing you could do is to write a VBA script that produces the layer using your symbology decisions, from scratch, given a default unsymbolized layer as input. You could then rerun that script whenever you needed.
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->