• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I found this presentation interesting, it is from an FAO report on poverty mapping in Uganda, but it was just used to illustrate a process and metholodogy they used (in an Appendix).

Example of temporal Fourier processed Land Surface Temperature images of the USA. The mean is shown in red (upper left), the annual amplitude in blue (upper right), the annual phase in green (lower left) and the combination of all three images in the multi-colored image, lower right. The red image shows that average temperature is higher in the South and decreases North-wards. The blue image, however, shows that the seasonal variation in temperature is greatest in the North. The green image (where later phase is brighter colored) shows that the seasonal peak of temperature tends to be later in the North. Notice how topographic features - such as the Rocky Mountains - affect the regional patterns.

Posted Image

I just found it interesting that they chose to display the three parameters this way. Does it work... I am not sure...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Is that an Andy Warhol piece?

I would be interested in seeing long-term average surface temp outputs from this satellite. This is great information. Thanks for the link!

danielle

danielle

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

Thanks for sharing these maps. I have been thinking about doing something similar with density data, and this is the first example I've seen. I like the idea of combining color theory with grid calculations.

Do you know if this overlay technique has a specific name or history? Are there other examples?

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

I've seen lots of examples of these in the geosciences.

It's really just a tri-variate mapping method with raster images, I think it is mentioned in Borden & Dent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->