Pyzdra

Pyzdra

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Canada
Dear List Members,
Sorry if this topic was discussed before, I gave my best shot at finding info on it in this list, but have not succeeded.

MAPublisher 7.x (in Illustrator) has a good functionality for creating choropleth maps based on imported GIS layers with attributes in them.

However - there is no option for creating other types of statistical maps such as proportional/graduated symbols, charts, dot density maps etc.

My question is:
What is the best way of finetuning in MAPublisher/Illustrator proportional and dot density maps created in GIS (say ArcMAP)? Would you recommend exporting just those thematic layers from GIS in a graphic format and importing them into MAPublisher/Illustrator? Would they register ok with other GIS layers already in MAPublisher/Illustrator?

Thanks a million!

P

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Dear List Members,
Sorry if this topic was discussed before, I gave my best shot at finding info on it in this list, but have not succeeded.

MAPublisher 7.x (in Illustrator) has a good functionality for creating choropleth maps based on imported GIS layers with attributes in them.

However - there is no option for creating other types of statistical maps such as proportional/graduated symbols, charts, dot density maps etc.

Well, with a little bit of a hack, proportional point symbols are possible.

In the Map Attributes pallette, you can alter the #HorizontalScale and #VerticalScale through an expression or attribute value. Simply enter the expression you want to use. You'll need to do this twice, once for each parameter. However, this will not work with layers that are part of a stylesheet, so you'll need to take them out before you do this.

As for the other options, Illustrator itselt offers a charting tool. Bit clumsy sometimes, but it works. Dot density maps aren't possible, but if you do them in a GIS, bring along a reference layer, and export them as .ai files, you'll be able to overlay them in Illustrator.

Hope this helps.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Here's an ArcMap/Illustrator approach:

I figure out my classification groups and symbol sizes in ArcMap first. I then create a new "Master" field column and select each classification range and populate the field (calculate field) with a unique ID that identifies the classification group (C_1, C_2, C_3, et cetera). When I'm finished, I create the appropriate number of symbols in Illustrator using the same naming convention, import the file into Illy and create
and apply the thematic with a style-sheet. The style sheet also allows you to adjust the symbol size (if need be) and it will recognize the common field value (class name) with the symbol name (which would be the same...C_1, C_2, etc) I like this approach because it allows you to create multi-variate point symbols with ease. For example, if you wanted to size by one field and color by another, you would just select everything that satifies both the color class and size class and populate the selections with one unique ID. Works like a charm.
I've never attempted Hans' work around; but it looks like a good option.

Pyzdra

Pyzdra

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Canada
Hi Erin, Hans,
Thanks for these excellent advices!
Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users