araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:GIS/MAPSERVER/OSSIM/GDAL
  • United States

Hi all.
I am trying to do a bump map of an area we are working on. I have 3D Analyst extentsion, but no Spatial Analyst. All of the docs on the ESRI site have shown how to do a bump map in Spatial Analyst, but I was wondering what kind of software/extensions you guys might be using to do this.
I have looked on Tom Pattersons site, and it has given me some leads, but just kinda wondering what everyone else is doing.
I uploaded a pdf of the type of stuff I want to do. Please take a gander at it throw out some tips.

Thanks all.

Attached Files

Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Raster is Faster, but Vector is Corrector.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

It is kind of hard to see in that pdf, but that looks like shaded relief to me, with no bumpmaps (like trees or other landforms).

I think your best bet would be to use Spatial Analyst, especially if you want to have a smooth workflow, and keep things in ArcGIS. You might be able to do it in Photoshop, and then display the image as a graphic element in a layout.

Maybe you should clarify first exactly what you want to do, and what data you have, and what your prefered environment for finalizing your maps are (ArcMap or Illy, for instance) - and how flexible you are to change to some other platform...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Like Hugo, I don't think this is a bump map. Just shaded relief.

If you need to create shaded relief as .tif .tfw combination to work with your ArcGis (without Spatial Analysis) look up http://www.geomatics...ReliefShade.htm.

Regards,
Chart

araki5

araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:GIS/MAPSERVER/OSSIM/GDAL
  • United States

You guys are correct. I misspoke. I do want a shaded relief effect, but it's hard to do with only 3D Analyst.

I am open to going to another platform, but if it costs$1500US, then I might as well get Spatial Analsyst.

The effect I'm trying to do here is show shaded relief on a couple fo 7.5' quads. Kinda like what I have in that pdf. What I tried to do was to hillshade some dems for the area in question, drape the quad over the hillshade and then make the quad 50% transparent. It's really not working that good. Considering the elevation ranges for this area are 50-200 ft, and I resampled to 10m pixels, I figured the relief should show up a little better. But it ain't working.

I'll keep researching.
Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Raster is Faster, but Vector is Corrector.

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

i haven't used it in a couple of years, but Natural Scene Designer was a relatively cheap and modestly robust tool to make hillshades if you aren't statisfied with what is allowable in arc). here's the site

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

i haven't used it in a couple of years, but Natural Scene Designer was a relatively cheap and modestly robust tool to make hillshades if you aren't statisfied with what is allowable in arc). here's the site

I'm wondering whether World Construction Set is up for the task or whether you really need the GIS power of Visual Nature Studio...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Luca Moiana

Luca Moiana

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Italy

I'm wondering whether World Construction Set is up for the task or whether you really need the GIS power of Visual Nature Studio...

Hello!

I'd like to go back on the subject:
My goal is to create a bump map using ArcGIS 9.2 and extensions; I have: DEM but it's mostly a flat area; and shp indicating corp and forest. I'd like to create a recreational map for a small protected area (the job is no profit) and couldn't find any good tutorial on this using ArcGIS. Everybody is refering me to the pdf on ESRI website but that it's done using AV 3.
Any of you has a workflow or tutorial to achieve my goal?

Thanks

L

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

Check out ESRI's Mapping Center . If you search for "bump mapping" you'll find some info. Or take a look at this response on Mapping Center which can direct you to some resources, including a pdf with notes about how to do bump mapping (among other things) with ArcGIS Desktop 9.x.

I hope this helps! :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Check out ESRI's Mapping Center . If you search for "bump mapping" you'll find some info. Or take a look at this response on Mapping Center which can direct you to some resources, including a pdf with notes about how to do bump mapping (among other things) with ArcGIS Desktop 9.x.

I though of that too, but by looking at the signature ("L"), I'm guessing it's Luca Moiana's own question :P

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I successfully made some quick-'n-dirty bumps in Arc using Spatial Analyst. I call the technique "Treeshading" and I used the 2001 NLCD Tree Canopy Density (free download at USGS Seamless). The data layer is a sub-pixel % of canopy density, and when used as a greyscale height-map it can be loaded into Spatial Analyst's Hillshading algorithm.
Attached File  Treeshade3_lo.jpg   107.48KB   117 downloads

The result is moderately appealing at smaller scales, but I had much better results performing manual "treeshading" in Photoshop (a la Patterson), and applying different (subtle) techniques for different % of canopy density. Overlying a copy of the density gradient (with transparency) provided a "density tint" that worked rather well in portraying the densest and contiguous forests.
Attached File  basemapCanopy2_lo.jpg   117.96KB   130 downloads

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

hmm, well, the procedure outlined in the pdf mentioned there is not using AV 3. It's using 9.x. Are you looking for descriptions of how to do it in AV 3.x or in ArcGIS 9.x? (Maybe I'm confused. I thought you were looking for 9.x)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

My related work regarding treeshading are here and here. For ArcGIS I'm quite confident that Jeff Nighbert is second to none. But it seems that is very hard to get response from him.

Lui

raj nagi

raj nagi

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Hi All

Recently, We have created ArcGIS tools to create Bump Maps. You can download these tools from Mapping center and also read the blog entry - http://blogs.esri.co...-Map-Tools.aspx.

Thanks,
Rajinder

krisschmidt

krisschmidt

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Canada

You guys are correct. I misspoke. I do want a shaded relief effect, but it's hard to do with only 3D Analyst.

Global Mapper is great for this. As far a GIS software / tools go, it's the best $300 you can spend. The slope shader is great for overlaying on an existing "map". Load your elevation model, export a GeoTIFF, and place over your other layers in ArcMap with a transparency around 80%. This produces the effect in Page_Index.pdf.

Another option I've used is to double up the relief images. Laying a semi-transparent slope-shade over a sun-shadow shader (HSV in GM) gives the hills on the "sunny" side some depth.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->