• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Okay, here's the deal:
Due to an upgrade of the memory in my laptop (512 Mb -> 2 Gb) I am now left with the following: 2 x 256 Mb DDR 333 Mhz SODIMM's (photo is attached)

I've only had this in my laptop for about 6 weeks, so it's effectively as good as new.

Since these lower capacity modules run dead cheap in stores nowadays, I'm giving them away for free, provided the buyer pays for the shipping charges.

If you're interested, please contact me privately (hans@redgeographics.com). This is strictly first-come, first-serve and I have only two of these.

Attached Files

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I was thinking 'that's something for me!' at first, but then I realized that I have two banks in my laptop, each with 256 (256+256 = 512) so these won't do me much good.

How do you find the performance increase? I am battling with myself if I should buy a better hard-drive (from the 4200 rpm 40 gb drive I have) or more memory.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hugo,

Nope, I'm afraid these 2 wouldn't help you one bit. Then again, I'm rather sceptical about the chances there's anybody out here who would have any use for these. Maybe I'll try putting them on eBay, although I don't really want to go through the hassle of all that...

As for the performance increase, 2 thumbs up and a big grin. This was an expensive upgrade (over 400 euro's), but definately worth it. The only high-performance things I do on the laptop are VNS renderings, but there's a very clear increase in speed there. It no longer needs to swap and consequently it won't run out of swap memory anymore on a typical project.

A somewhat faster hard drive would be an interesting investment as well, although my gut feeling says ram is a better way to speed things up.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->