3 replies to this topic

iriaki

iriaki

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cyprus

Hi,

I am planning to do a project for which i want to use manifold. The problem is that the company that the project is intended for, uses ArcGis. I would like to know whether Manifold's files are compatible with ArcGis and geodatabase, and what is the procedure needed to import and export ArcGis files to manifold and vice versa.

Thank you

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I am planning to do a project for which i want to use manifold. The problem is that the company that the project is intended for, uses ArcGis. I would like to know whether Manifold's files are compatible with ArcGis and geodatabase, and what is the procedure needed to import and export ArcGis files to manifold and vice versa.

Manifold .map files are not compatible with ArcGIS. ArcGIS's native format is not compatible with Manifold. I'm not sure about Geodatabase, but I wouldn't count on it.

The best way to drag data back and forth is through Shapefiles. Well-supported on both ends (and all through the GIS market for that matter). However, you will lose style attributes (color, linestyle etc).

More information can probabely be obtained over at the Manifold Community Site.

Hope this helps.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

paul

paul

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Running, telemark skiing, GIS
  • United States

I should also note that you can import ESRI Grids into Manifold, process them (raster math, hydrology, etc.), and export them as an ASCII file, which ArcGIS can read. The importing and exporting can be a hassle sometimes, but considering the spatial extension for Manifold costs $100, and does pretty much everything the $2500 ESRI spatial extensions does, it's usually worth it!

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Manifold can read data in ESRI created personal geodatabases and I think it can read stuff on other (SQL) geo -databases as well. The folks over at the Manifold forum would know the answer to that one for sure. I have however used Manifold to read and edit data in a personal geodatabase with a few glitches but nothing major.

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->