• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Hi everybody.
I just discovered your site. WOW (other people like me!)
About myself:
Well, I hail from Montreal Quebec and I,ve been illustrating pictorial maps for over 25 years. Attached is an example of the type of maps I draw.
I would like to discuss the topic of pictorial maps with others on this site. A good place to start would be the map Gallery I guess but the file attachement there appears to be disabled. Can anybody fix that?
looking forward to know some of you
Happy new year
Jean-Louis Rheault
Attached File  Monntreal_geomap_sample.jpg   166.99KB   296 downloads
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

Greetings, and welcome!

I've seen your work, beautiful maps - is there a higher resolution crop or a website to see in more detail? I'm always curious about the process individual mapmakers use to produce the finished piece, from inspiration to software, etc. Are you illustrating these by hand or with digital tools?
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,325 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Jean-Loius,

Welcome to the forum.

I am glad you brought-up the issue of pictorial maps. I think it was the first style of map that made a strong impression on me (it was a Disneyland map in 1972). The pictorial style (awash with saturated colors) provides an interesting set of artistic depictions designed to provide easily identifiable (cultural and environmental) features from a perspective that captures the sense of a place.

It's interesting to try and find a place where they fit on a large-small scale/detailed-generalized spectrum.

Does anyone remember (7+ years ago) the outfit (from Seattle?) that made pictorial maps of large US cities that were designed for cell-phone navigation? It was a dot.com-bust that was ahead of its time and I forgot the details.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Bienvenue Jean-Louis.

Beautiful work. I am sure you will enjoy Cartotalk.
Chart

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hello Jean-Louis,

I started a new topic for you in the Map Gallery, with the map you posted here. No idea why it didn't work for you. There is a limit on filesize, but that's board-wide.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Welcome to the forum Jean-Louis!

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Jean-Louis,

Welcome! Yes, I know that "lonely" feeling sometimes.....as you will sometimes have other cartographers and more-traditional map designers look at what firms like ours do and not even consider them to be "maps." I've been fighting that battle for most of the past 7-8 years and STILL have to remind the occasional person that not everyone out there navigates using street names and distances.....as there are MANY of us who navigate via visual "breadcrumbs" such as architecture, waterways, business names/signage, sculpture and green spaces, etc. I've been drawing "3D perspective" (or oblique, or bird's eye, or "illustrated", or whatever anybody wants to call it) imagery for the better part of the past 25 years myself. Only about 15 years professionally, however, as the rest of my drawings were just for fun as a teenager and young adult.

Seeing your pictorial sample of Montreal makes me want to see many more samples of your work. Do you have a web site that you use to promote your design services? If not, I know a CartoTalk member named "Derek" who would welcome the chance to talk with you more to see if there might be any potential collaboration that we might pursue to increase both of our exposure and revenues..... B)

If you're interested in seeing the types of maps that our collaborative here at mapformation produces, feel free to visit us at http://www.mapformation.com/.

I'll look forward to getting to know you better in the weeks and months to come! In the interim, enjoy your time here at CartoTalk! There is a great-many WONDERFUL individuals here who are very helpful and supportive...and it is a place that you will find yourself visiting on a daily basis before too long, as the result of all the wonderful conversation, advice and support.

Derek
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Thanks for the welcome guys and thank you Hans for the post on gallery.
I,m finding this site a little complicated- well done but a lot of stuff - I,m sure I'll figure it out as I go along
in answer to Matthew. I do have a good idea of pretty much everybody involved in the pictorial map business including one in Seattle and one in Bellingham but I never heard of the one you refer to. I would be interested in seeing that also.
To Mike I say that I will try to post some higher resolution crop a little later. It is a problem to see both the intricate detailling and overall look of a complex pictorial map in an electronic medium
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Jean-Louis,

Glad we got your language issues sorted. I see you are a Tintin fan by your Captain Haddock picture :) I am a big fan as well.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

ditto to being a tintin fan! I actuall recently did a project where I tried to copy and capture the ligne claire style of comics (i.e. the clean line - 60ies francophone comics movement) - and especially tintin - in a set of charts and a few maps, for a publication.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Canada

Thanks Nick for fixing the problem. I was afraid that I had shut myself out permanently.
Good to see there are other Tintin fans, the coolest guy of the 20th Century as far as I'm concerned. Somehow the new bandes dessines dont cut it for me. They seem to be always grim, somber and depressing. I like my heroes to be heroically good and drawn with a clean crisp line. Here is a pix of a mural I did a long time ago. Trivia question: From where does the Tintin on the motorcycle come from?
Attached File  TINTIN.jpg   77.12KB   177 downloads
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Maybe a Harley Davidson. (Tintin en Am?rique).

Anyway for those Tintin fans. My wife is a mosaic maker. She did a few Tintin related murals.
Here is her web page www.mozaico.ca (follow the link murales to see some Tintin caracters) Sorry but it is in French only. But art speaks for itself.

BTW. Happy new year to all. Tintin fans and mapmakers.
Chart

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Maybe a Harley Davidson. (Tintin en Am?rique).
Anyway for those Tintin fans. My wife is a mosaic maker. She did a few Tintin related murals.
Here is her web page www.mozaico.ca (follow the link murales to see some Tintin caracters) Sorry but it is in French only. But art speaks for itself.
BTW. Happy new year to all. Tintin fans and mapmakers.

Your wife is really talented! Beautiful work.

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Yes, great mosaics. Love the one of Bianca Castafiore.

Jean-Louis - I can't put my finger on which one that is from, looks very familiar though. Maybe it's a new trivia game for the board: guess the Tintin panel. :)

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Canada

Jean-Louis - I can't put my finger on which one that is from, looks very familiar though. Maybe it's a new trivia game for the board: guess the Tintin panel. :)
[/quote]

It's a modified version of Tintin on a motorcycle in King Ottokar's scepter. By the way favorite albums: toss up between Tintin in Tibet and Coke en Stock ( forgot the english title ..something about the Red Sea?)

Ps I loved the mosaics too. It has a nice Roman look.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->