• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Just got back from a short vacation to Minnesota. On the way over, in the plane, I was reading John Noble Wilford's "The Mapmakers" (excellent read by the way, highly recommended). One of the places I visited on this trip was Pipestone National Monument, in the southwestern corner of Minnesota. Much was my surprise when I saw a sign there explaining about 2 of the cartographers who I had been reading about, and an inscription they left in the rock.

Posted Image

The sign.

Posted Image

Rock inscription. Hard to make out, but some letters are visible near the bottom of the image. The real thing is a bit clearer.

-- edit --

Sorry they're so big, I tried to link them here as thumbnails, but that wouldn't work... :(

Edited by Nick S., 20 September 2005 - 01:59 PM.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Just got back from a short vacation to Minnesota. On the way over, in the plane, I was reading John Noble Wilford's "The Mapmakers" (excellent read by the way, highly recommended). One of the places I visited on this trip was Pipestone National Monument, in the southwestern corner of Minnesota. Much was my surprise when I saw a sign there explaining about 2 of the cartographers who I had been reading about, and an inscription they left in the rock.

The sign.

Rock inscription. Hard to make out, but some letters are visible near the bottom of the image. The real thing is a bit clearer.

-- edit --

Sorry they're so big, I tried to link them here as thumbnails, but that wouldn't work...  :(

You should have stopped by my house, Hans! You were probably no more than about one hour away from me during your visit to our fine State of Minnesota.... :)
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Derek,

If only I had known... Looks like the closest I've been to Springfield is Mankato, over at US 169. We did consider going to see the Jeffers Petroglyphs, about 10 miles south of you... I'm pretty sure I'll go back to Minnesota some day. I have a friend who's living in Blue Earth (where I 90 and US 169 intersect).
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->