CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Bruce,

Your ranges are probably in line with larger businesses. My scheme is mostly a personal one. In sum, to clarify I would charge 25-35 for ongoing work that I can bill on a per hour basis (mostly with established clients that just want my services e.g. just charge me your time type of clients). In other words if I work 8 hours on something I bill the number of hours plus taxes. The 50 50 rule that I talk about is applied to one price quote for a specific job. So I factor in the time estimated to do the job at say 30 dollars an hour and double that price in my quote to cover all expenses etc.. Again I don't spend to much time applying various ranges as I am a one man shop and I try to keep things simple. Hope this clarifies all my posts. :)

As for a web site. I think it is a must if you are serious about your business. It is hard to maintain but it does drive business. For me it complements conventional marketing. For example ... here is my business card and by the way you can get a bit more info if you visit my site ... people do take a few minutes (maybe seconds) to take a look.
Chart

burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

I guess it depends how busy they can keep you. I worked as a contractor and the rates were between $30-40/ hr but I was basically working full time. If its that type of situation, it makes sense. Unfortunately, with me anyway, you had no time for marketing, business development, etc. It makes sense if you work only half your time on these types of contracts with monthly billings and still be able to conduct larger, more profitable projects the other time.

Just my thoughts.

Bruce

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

I guess it depends how busy they can keep you. I worked as a contractor and the rates were between $30-40/ hr but I was basically working full time. If its that type of situation, it makes sense. Unfortunately, with me anyway, you had no time for marketing, business development, etc. It makes sense if you work only half your time on these types of contracts with monthly billings and still be able to conduct larger, more profitable projects the other time.

Just my thoughts.

Bruce

For me a bit of both is good. However if you are starting out set yourself a good business plan. Revise and adjust your business plan yearly. Being a one man shop as some advantages but so a does a growth plan with new employees added. It is a matter of choice.
Chart

R. Smith

R. Smith

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Canada

Interesting responses!

I have a standard rate that I tell people when they ask. It varies between $40 and $60/hr depending on how busy I am. In all honesty though, its only an anwser to the question. The real question should be "how much is it going to cost?" This to me is the most interesting part. When you break projects down and come up with the number of hours to complete each task. I frequently find myself, once I've broken down a project, playing with the numbers, how many hours a task will take, or the price per hour, so that I can come closer to what my gut figures a job should cost. Or what I feel a client might be willing to pay. Sometimes its up and sometimes its down. Personally I find it facinating.

The issue I've had a problem with is whether a client should pay the total development cost for a new map, if you know that you'll be able to use the base map over again. In most cases I do, but there have been the occasions when I've backed my price off because of the future value of a base map.

Rod

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->