• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I'm looking for a sort of standard disclaimer to put on a map, how about something like this:

This product has been created with the highest degree of accuracy possible. However, [COMPANY NAME], nor any of its contractors or suppliers can be held responsible for any damages due to errors or omissions in this product. Depiction of boundaries is not authorative.

Any other suggestions?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Here is the disclaimer boilerplate we use on maps at the agency at which I work.

"The information on this map was derived from digital databases on Metro's GIS. Care was taken in the creation of this map. Metro cannot accept any responsibility for errors, omissions, or positional accuracy. There are no warranties, expressed or implied, including the warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, accompanying this product. However, notification of any errors will be appreciated."

We have a legal department that has helped write it, but I am not sure if it has withstood the scrutiny in a courtroom.

Hans, you obliquely raise a good topic - that of the legal repurcussions of mapping and liability. Does anyone know of legal cases pertaining to cartographers and their maps/data?

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

I asked the same questions in here in the spring. I looked all over the net to find some type of law suits with regard to maps but couldn't find any.

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hans, Matthew and Beaver...

Never heard of a legal suit in Canada....

Anyway here is another disclaimer that Europa Technologies uses it applies mostly to GIS data but maybe a bit of content can be useful for a hardcopy map disclaimer... ( http://www.europa-tech.com/ )

While a great deal of effort is made to ensure that digital mapping from Europa Technologies is maintained to meet specification, it is of course possible that data sets contain errors, omissions and inconsistencies. If a problem of this nature is found, please help us to correct the matter by sending a "Problem Report" to the Cartographic Editor. Please include the following details in your report

? Your name, address, telephone, fax and e-mail details.

? What is your product serial number?

? What is the problem you have encountered?

? Where (latitude/longitude) is the problem you have encountered?

? If applicable, what is the unique feature ID ("FID") of the problem feature?

Send your problem report to Europa Technologies cartography using one of the following methods;

Fax: +44 (0)20 8398 3915
E-Mail: cartography@europa-tech.com

Your product feedback is greatly appreciated.

Europa Technologies Ltd.

:)
Chart

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Netherlands

I forgot to add:

- It shouldn't be too much, because I don't want to devote too much space to it... The medium it'll be printed on, stretchy fabric, won't actually allow for really small print (8 pt is about the smallest I dare use on it)
- It'd be nice if I can somehow fit it in a circular space (or if it contains some circular reasoning...)
Red Geographics

merft

merft

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • United States

I have used a couple different disclaimers. Years ago I started with:

This map should not be used for navigation or legal purposes. It is intended for general reference use only.

but it has changed to:

[Company] makes every effort to ensure this map is free of errors but does not warrant the map or its features are either spatially or temporally accurate or fit for a particular use. [COMPANY] provides this map without any warranty of any kind whatsoever, either express or implied.

I've gotten grumpier in my old age. :)

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

I looked at this about a month ago and went to Google Maps figuring they could afford more lawyers than I could. If you go to the help for Google Maps, on the left side of the page is a list things, including Terms and Conditions.

The language there covers more uses and problems than I could have imagined actually applying to just one map, so I just lifted the portions that applied to me and my map to compile my own disclaimer.
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Stretchy fabric? Are you talking about putting a disclaimer on your globe? Why would you think a disclaimer is necessary?

I don't think there is or should be a "standard" disclaimer. If needed, they should specifically address the content of the map. On a regional map for a phone book, we warn: Not all roads may be shown or named. Some roads may be private or incomplete. Forest and reservation boundaries are generalized.

On a bicycle map, the client had us include this disclaimer to deal with a specific quirk in Illinois case law: The City of Chicago has published this map to help bicyclists use their bicycles on the streets of Chicago. Users of this map should be aware that potential hazards and obstructions may exist on the routes shown and that the City of Chicago and the Chicagoland Bicycle Federation in no way warrant the safety or ?tness of the suggested routes. The user of this map bears the full responsibility for his or her safety.

Maybe you could just put "does not enable the wearer to fly" on the package.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Netherlands

Stretchy fabric? Are you talking about putting a disclaimer on your globe? Why would you think a disclaimer is necessary?

Maybe you could just put "does not enable the wearer to fly" on the package.

It's for the globe alright. I'm not sure whether it's absolutely necessary, but I figured it doesn't hurt, right? Want to avoid issues like: "My town isn't on there, now I'll sue you for emotional damages".

As for flying, I'm told they actually do float in water, but I don't know whether they have enough boyancy to carry a person. :D
Red Geographics

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

I asked the same questions in here in the spring. I looked all over the net to find some type of law suits with regard to maps but couldn't find any.

i've heard of a few, mainly pertaining to misrepresentation on aeronatuical or nautical charts that resulted in death. nothing too recent though.

Edit: and in fact, 20 minutes of googling hasn't turned up anything worth posting...hmmmm

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Well, the standard disclaimer on world maps was traditionally

Here be dragonnes
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I think it would be a difference with European law vs American as well - in the US you assign more responsbilities to the producers and manufacturers and in Europe it is more up to the consumer.

This is a standard disclaimer that should be on all UN maps: The boundaries and names shown and the designations used on this map do not imply official endorsement or acceptance by the United Nations.

I would be curious, by the way, how you handled some of the infected cases on your globe, btw, like West Sahara, Palestine, the Egypt/Sudan border, and all the complex issues in Southern Asia (around China and India).
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Netherlands

Dotted lines between Western Sahara and Morocco, around Palestine and in the Kashmir area. Also a different dotted line ("de-facto border") between Oman, Yemen, the UAE and Saudi Arabia.

Egypt-Sudan border is the clunky north-eastern-pointing one instead of the parallel-following one.

I mainly consulted other maps and atlases as well as Wikipedia to decide how to show some of those touchy subjects.

I've decided to leave out the small print alltogether, for the moment. It would ruin the design of the legend.
Red Geographics

hausibek

hausibek

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Switzerland

Also a different dotted line ("de-facto border") between Oman, Yemen, the UAE and Saudi Arabia.

In the last 10 years the borders between Oman/Yemen, Saudi Arabia/Oman and Saudi Arabia/Yemen were defined and signed in border agreements and the border maps deposited at the UN. So no need to dash or dot!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Netherlands

Also a different dotted line ("de-facto border") between Oman, Yemen, the UAE and Saudi Arabia.

In the last 10 years the borders between Oman/Yemen, Saudi Arabia/Oman and Saudi Arabia/Yemen were defined and signed in border agreements and the border maps deposited at the UN. So no need to dash or dot!

Darn, I like dashing and dotting... :( I'll see what I can find re. this in other sources.
Red Geographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->