rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Hello All -

My office is currently producing maps using Freehand 8 on Macs running OS9. A little dated and sloiw at times but it still works. I am looking to upgrade the hardware to a PC base so as to have hte flexibility of running ArcMap in the future. I am also looking to upgrade the software and am finding that the integrated Adobe CS2 suite is attractive (we also do quite a bit of layout for which InDesign will be handy). That would mean dropping Freehand (which may or may not be dead - any one know of a definitive answer on this issue?)

I understand that there are some issues with migrating from Freehand to Illustrator CS2. Has anyone any experience with this process? I've seen the Adobe migration guides etc. and have learned that the best approach seems to be to take the Freehand files to Illustrator 10, then open up the Illustrator 10 file in CS2. Any advice or recommendations on this would be most welcome.

Rudy

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Hello All -

My office is currently producing maps using Freehand 8 on Macs running OS9. A little dated and sloiw at times but it still works. I am looking to upgrade the hardware to a PC base so as to have hte flexibility of running ArcMap in the future. I am also looking to upgrade the software and am finding that the integrated Adobe CS2 suite is attractive (we also do quite a bit of layout for which InDesign will be handy). That would mean dropping Freehand (which may or may not be dead - any one know of a definitive answer on this issue?)

I understand that there are some issues with migrating from Freehand to Illustrator CS2. Has anyone any experience with this process? I've seen the Adobe migration guides etc. and have learned that the best approach seems to be to take the Freehand files to Illustrator 10, then open up the Illustrator 10 file in CS2. Any advice or recommendations on this would be most welcome.

Rudy

I helped run a session on this at NACIS in October, and I think the collected notes from the three of us are somewhere... or maybe I was supposed to collect them toegther. I better go check on that.

Anyway. the short answer is: you can export from any FH as EPS and AI will open it, but with the usual problems: type to a curve and come non-curve text goes to individual chaaraters, styles and layers are lost, groups are rejiggered, paste-insides become groups of masks of groups of masks of...

AI CS2 imports FH9, not 10. Type is maintained, but may shift, especially type not left aligned. Layers are maintained, but styles are lost.

You can also export from FH as an older version of AI. I haven't done that myself, but another member of the NACIS discussion has.

I should really see about getting those notes up. They had a lot of stuff in them...

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->