oceatoon

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Fluids and Flow
  • France
Hi
I not at all from GIS, so please excuse me,
I have retreived the famous NOAA shoreline .shp file ,Can someone please explain to me how to transform it into a vectoriel file ? which software does the conversion ?

once this is done how would my Lat / Long reference be set onto to it?
can I plot directly ?
will Lat / long be x,y on the map , is this dependent to the type of projection?

I would love to find a little tutorial for geopositioning points on such a data map ?
does anybody know of a good link to learn about this ?
Thanks for the thoughts
Regards
Tibor

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Tibor,

The easiest way would be to have your lat/long points in an spreadsheet. Using a GIS software or with Mapublisher you could get your NOAA coastline into an illustration program and while your at it plot your x/y coordinates at the same time.

I do not know a way that circumvents these software tools. What do you have at your disposal in terms of software?

If you contact me off-list I'd be happy to help generate a file.

mg

oceatoon

oceatoon

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • France
Thanks for the help Martin , I greatly appreciate it :-)

I'm still sorting out the data I'm going to use, we are developping something in this line of work Flash Photo Blog but with SVG.

do you know Natural Earth by carto.net ? I would like to have a cartographers advice on the quality of this datasets, and make sure I can use this data for geopositionning stuff ??

Once this is fixed, I'll have to find how to position, points on the map using Lat / Long or GPS coord, any good links are very welcome.

Thanks for the thoughts
Cheers
Tibor

Searching Data in this world of abundant choices, is not an easy task
Better have lots of choices than none at all.
Having the data is the only first stone of this new pebbled beach.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Natural Earth is georeferenced (GeoTIFF) and supplied in a simple lat/lon projection. This will combine with vector data in any GIS or cartographic package. Keep in mind though that the files are *huge*. The full-res, all-options on are 750 Mb per hemisphere.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

I had a hard time using Natural Earth in ARC 9.0 yesterday. It would not line up with other lat/long WGS84 data. Not sure why and I did not have alot of time to investigate but....

oceatoon

oceatoon

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • France
Yes the size factor was part of my doubts about this but positionning should be proportionnal if I scale the map down as it is vectorial , no ?
Do you think I would be better off using the GTOPO30 files or the ESRI ones ?

Cheers
TIbor

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Tibor,

Yes the size factor was part of my doubts about this but positionning should be proportionnal if I scale the map down as it is vectorial , no ?

Actually, it's raster. Scaling down will make the size smaller, but will also ruin the georeferencing information that's in there, unless you use a GIS package for that.

As for what you can better use instead of Natural Earth, it depends a bit on the resolution you want for your final product.

The photoblog site you referred to seems to use 2 zoom steps, so you'd definately need 2 levels of data. The 2nd level seemed to be primarily VMAP (or similar) data. I would suggest preparing one 'base' layer, with (for example) just the terrain data and a 'zoom' layer with more detailed terrain, country borders, rivers, cities etc.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

oceatoon

oceatoon

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • France
Hi Hans and Martin

well the level of detail I need would be in four level views : Europe, Country, Region, and Province

in the lowest level there will only be major cities and my content as dots with no extra data, but I would like nicely drawned countries, the class A looks are important, I'll try to make it modular so that all graphical configuration is done from an external xml config file.

NOAA data is good for the two first layers but then what sort of data can I use or is there one data I can use for all views ?

I seem to understand that the FlashPhotoModule is cut up in layers of corresponding to the Longitudes and the Latitudes and reassemble according to the view point. is this a standard way of doing this ?

Thanks Martin about the projection for Natural Earth, I read a bit about projections and map formats, and since I'm swimming in questions, should I just fix myself to the format(WSG84,NAD) of the map I choose, and the longitude latitude will be just like posiitonning x / y on a referential ?
do you have any good links to such documents ?

Thank you very much for the help, I really appreciate it.
Regards
Tibor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->