Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

I can run something and quickly drag it into the Mac desktop without having to log into the Mac from the PC to transfer files.

Rick.

I have a G4 powerbook networked with a PC running Win 2000. I often move files back and forth between them and mine are on the same desk, from your post it seems you need to move from PC to MAC. I have the same issue, I have never been able to do the reverse. Whenever I need to exchange files between them it needs to be done from the PC.

I've had professionals come and try to setup my network and configure the mac to see other PCs but without any luck? Do you have the same problem? Anyone else running dual platforms on same network have any insight?

mg

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Martin,

With each new version of OS X it's become easier to integrate the Macs into a PC network, as long as you don't have an IT department to get in the way. I use FTP to move to and from the Mac but it is initiated by the PC and hosted on the Mac (a single check box in the sharing pane of system preferences).

To connect from the Mac to the PC, turn on sharing on the PC and use the IP address under Go>Connect to Server, you should also be able to browse the network to find a PC with sharing on. Most versions of the OS from 10.3.3 on should work pretty well.

We do most of our own Mac support and prefer to keep the IT department at bay, unfortunately they respond by locking down all configuration options on the PC side.
Rick Dey

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Just yesterday I set up VNC across my network (my desktop pc and my laptop, which are connected over a partially wireless network) and I was quite pleased with the result. I don't think I'd want to use it for intensive production work, but for the smaller tasks, it works just fine.

The fact that I can sit outside in the shade and work while it's very hot inside makes it more than worth the effort for me.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I use FTP to move to and from the Mac

I use a Mac Formatted USB Key Drive along with MacDisk Software on the PC to transfer files from the Mac. This application allows PCs to read Mac formatted disks, can maintain the data fork, and has built in font conversion.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Let me make it clear that I have no problem seeing files on the MAC from the PC, or moving them around. My problem is that I cannot do so from the MAC, only from the PC.

No IT dept. people were involved. I am a one person shop so stuff that I cant figure out I have to hire people to do. I hired a network person that had configured wireless MAC/PC networks before (including his own) succesfully. He was unable to get things working as should be for me and did not charge me for the time. So I do not blame his lack of skills? But there is a settings glitch somewhere in the system...

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

I hate to be the thread police here but we kinda wandered off topic, not that I mind talking about Macs...but wandering back, I see that OpenOSX has released a new version of Grass. OpenOSX GrassPro Perhaps one of these days I'll get time again to check it out. For now however I just got a big project with a short deadline dropped in my lap. :o
Rick Dey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->