• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

shadowbox design

shadowbox design

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Looking for expertise...

I run shadowbox design and we create on line learning tools for higher ed publishers.

I am looking for a fashion to attch alternate, historical maps on the Google Earth model, and then use the Google Earth application to affix additional iconic info according to place and time.

The goal here is to use the Google interface to advance the study of history.

I need to find a cartogrpher who is up to speed on Google Earth and can help me begin to understand what is necessary.

My email is kevin@shadowboxdesign.com
Anyone out there?

kevin

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Are you familiar with David Rumsey's historical map collection? There was just a big to-do about some of his maps being added to an official Google Earth "layer". Read more here: http://googleblog.bl...ogle-earth.html

merft

merft

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • United States

We've been releasing a lot of our data product indices in Google Earth. That do similar functions to what your describing.

Sample: 1:24,000 Topographic Index

We are only including the boundary outlines raster than the actual raster, but have included a hook to WMS servers that will load the topos into GE on the fly.

The popups are initially generated in ArcGIS with Arc2Earth. We do addition manual editing in a text editor to add the screen overlays and change some of the styles.

For overlaying rasters, I have used Arc2Earth and Virtual Nature Studio. But if your overlaying the entire globe you could easily manually place an image.

GE is pretty easy to learn, v4 is adding a lot of new features we are trying to catch up with. The popups are not difficult and only require a basic knowledge of HTML to code.

If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them.

shadowbox design

shadowbox design

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

golly, thnks for that reply.

pretty keen stuff. So who is DDS anyway?

kevin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->