1 reply to this topic

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

I've always liked Illy's ability to link placed images for easy editing in Photoshop. But on some files, when I place an image, it doesn't allow that link. It appears in the link pallette with a symbol associated with it, but the "Edit Original" field is not available. I'm placing CMYK tiffs or PSD files, usually under 20 megs each.

I don't see anything different in the image, or in preferences - anyone know where the magic button is?

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

If the 'edit original' option isnt available, then the image or artwork is embedded. Typically the magic button is making sure that you don't forget to check the 'Link' checkbox the first time you place the file, which is easy to do.

The next time this happens, I would create a new document and place the problem file with the "link" box checked just to verify that it works one way or the other. Also, rather than using the 'relink' button to link a file, I always delete the placed file and then replace it. This way I can make sure that Illustrator is not applying any transformations or effects of the previous file (which can result in the file being embedded by Illy).

As a final comment... the links palette can be a fickle SOB!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->