oceatoon

oceatoon

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Fluids and Flow
  • France
Hi every one

I am trying to find a map solution for my website to geoposition the data I have on my website. I have the addresses of my content, mainly european. But this doesn't have to be automatic (but that would be a plus) could also be mauelly positionned , I can't seem to find anything without going into huge budgets ???
(I allready have all the XML structure waiting for a map )

the other thing that I'm interested in would be an address to Lat/Long converter , does anybody no of such a solution out in the open source ??

If I don't find anything, I'll try and build a map myself, but I need some help and information about what projections to use and coordinates to apply for dynamic positionning. any good linkd ?

In this case I would need a vector map of europe , does anybody have a good ressource for this type of data ?

I'm not from GIS world but am very interested because I want this to be the center navigatiion system of the site.

Any help is grately appreciated
Thanks
Regards

Tibor

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Tibor,
You may want to consider purchasing a program like Manifold GIS. Manifold is a complete GIS software package for ($245)...and it comes with a great IMS (internet map server):Here's the link

Manifold will handle all of the spatial tasks. I'm not sure about the address/lat long converter ? Nick can probably guide you in the right direction on that one...

Here's a tutorial on creating a zoom feature using PHP. I know this is not what you asked for, however, the article provides some great info you may be able to use on your website.
Here's the link
I'm sure Hans can direct you to a really great base map of Europe.

What is your website address (if you don't mind sharing?) By the way...welcome to the forum! Erin

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Tibor (and Erin too)

Manifold IMS can (as far as I've been able to figure out) geocode. I.e. turn an address into a lat/lon pair. For European data, you'll need a copy of Microsoft MapPoint as well, since Manifold will use that as the geocoding engine. Maybe this can be done on the fly, maybe you'll have to prepare the lat/lon files every now and then.

As for the internet GIS, I'm currently talking to a couple of developers who have an Apache-MySQL-PHP based IMS. No details or samples yet, but if this works out I'll be setting up a sample website for it.

Vector base maps of Europe can best be obtained from the GIS Data depot (here), or you could use the sample data that comes with Manifold, iirc that's pretty good too.

Hope this helps
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

oceatoon

oceatoon

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Fluids and Flow
  • France
Thanks for the thoughts and links , quite interesting but I'm looking for a solution that is a lot less advanced , I am looking for a GIS but a very simplified version , easily integratable into our graphical color chart, Something in the Map Builder Line or Ka'Map ? but maybe SVG ??
and with XML data input through Lat / Long, Something like a Map BLog ?

This is mainly to be integrated into an HTML/ WebPage structure to be the center Navigation system.

Regards
Tibor

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

I thought some people had figured out out to hack Google Maps so that it could display a list of adresses, so why not a list of coordinates? That would be a real easy solution, despite my beefs with Google Maps (i.e. no scale bar). At least for N. America....

mg

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

google maps currently has a scale bar. don't know when it was added, but about ten minutes before I read your post I was using it to see how far a specific house was from the beach.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

you can also check out ESRI's ArcWeb services, some of it is for free, some for pay -- I think they have address matching (don't know if it works outside North America).
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->