3 replies to this topic

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

Does anyone have insights to bagging or wrapping maps individually for retail sale? I'm working with a publisher who would prefer to shrinkwrap each map the same way they treat books. I've seen maps in map stores displayed in poly bags with a punch hole flap to hang on a peg hook, instead of in a wire or plastic display. I've never seen a map shrinkwrapped for individual sale.

Any leads/experiences?

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Does anyone have insights to bagging or wrapping maps individually for retail sale? I'm working with a publisher who would prefer to shrinkwrap each map the same way they treat books. I've seen maps in map stores displayed in poly bags with a punch hole flap to hang on a peg hook, instead of in a wire or plastic display. I've never seen a map shrinkwrapped for individual sale.

Any leads/experiences?

m.

Thomas Brothers Guides (road atlases) are usually sold shrink-wrapped, but I don't recall ever seeing maps shrink-wrapped. They would have to either be stiff maps or have a piece of cardboard inserted so the maps wouldn't warp too much when the plastic wrap is shrunk.

Personally I prefer to look at maps before buying, so unless there were an opened display copy I would probably pass over shrink-wrapped maps for maps I could open an look at before buying (unless I knew in advance it was a map I wanted - because I trusted the cartographer or because I was familiar with a company's product like Thomas Bros. or because it was one of a kind cool subject or style).
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Francis S.

Francis S.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Music: listening, playing (drums), recording. Rock, jazz fusion, jazz, blues.<br />Bicycling<br />
  • United States

I've done a number of self-published bike maps, and always have used zip poly bags. The hanging hole is a good idea. Make sure the bag is big enough so you don't need to fight to get the map out and in - less wear and tear on the map, before and after the sale. Often bag manufacturers will send you samples. The zip bag is an asset to the user in foul weather.
Francis Stanton
Eagle Eye Maps

eagleeye@chorus.net
http://www.eagleeyemaps.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Any leads/experiences?

m.

We use self-sealing cellophane-like envelopes for our "story maps" for the gift market (like our Santa Map). They look a little liek cominc-boook bags, but are a crisper material, and include an adhesize strip on the flap. They develop wrinkles after a while in the rack, but hold up to scuffing and look crisper than zip-lock bags. The titles have their own display box).

If you do shrink-wrap, consider a chipboard insert the size of the map to keep it rigid. This will help the shrink-wrapping look crisp.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->