Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

http://www.3dconnexion.com/

From the article I read:
"The device was developed in conjunction with Google so that it could work natively in Google Earth and Google SketchUp, a 3D modeling program. It can, however, be used with other 3D modeling programs like AutoCAD, according to Logitech."

I think I am definitely going to order me one of these.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Seems related to the Logitech NULOOQ. I am drooling over one of those actually, they released the windows drivers not long ago, so I might buy one of those...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

For the last five years I've been using their Spaceball 3000, 4000 and 5000 wich was just replaced with the new SpaceExplorer. I don't know how to work without it. It's more useful in 3D modeling then it is in GIS but it's still nice for zooming and panning.

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Wow... the Connexion is basically exactly the NULOOQ with a more prominent grip up/down control.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

It looks somewhat more sophisticated than the NULOOQ, with respect to 3D. It seems to be able to physically tilt and move up/down. I am sure you can program the NULOOQ to behave similarly, though.

Does anyone use/recommend the NULOOQ for CS2?

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

I would go with NuLooq for 2D applications. Actually I want to purchase one but as far as I know here in Europe NuLooq is not available. Strange. Does anyone knows where to get one here in Europe?

Lui

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Sweden

I just ordered a Nulooq from ebay (found a seller that ships to Europe). If you froogle it you can also find sellers that ship to Europe. Nulooq is a good way, since it is extremely search-engine-friendly - it would be harder if it was called "navigator dial" or something.

I can PM you with the seller's info, if you are interested. You might want to wait until I get it though!
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

I just ordered a Nulooq from ebay (found a seller that ships to Europe). If you froogle it you can also find sellers that ship to Europe. Nulooq is a good way, since it is extremely search-engine-friendly - it would be harder if it was called "navigator dial" or something.

I can PM you with the seller's info, if you are interested. You might want to wait until I get it though!

Thank you Frax for this info. I've already saw some sellers on Ebay but your experience with them will be most welcome. Can you inform me here or via PM when you get the NuLooq, please.

Lui

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Sweden

I wonder how useful these Gaming control pads would be for Illustrator. All your hotkeys and some extra joystick (for panning, for instance) all within reach in the left hand.
Posted Image
I think the main problem there would be the integration with the Illustrator UI, and I understand it as the driver/utility software for the NULOOQ provides some extra integration. These gaming pads are pretty cheap nowadays, so maybe one should test it out..

Here is a review, for a more detalied look..

That 3D connexion stuff is quite similar to these, but maybe more centered on an analogue joystick (with a few extra degrees of motion, like turning) - I wonder how much extra is in the driver/utility for those (in integration with e.g. Adobe software UI).
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->