9 replies to this topic

miz fellenz

miz fellenz

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

I figured it out! Transform Each doesn't work on sub-layers. The objects must be on a layer at the top level of the document.

That's the magic trick? I'll give it a shot tomorrow!

In the meantime I managed to convert 3,424 arc symbols into 3pt circles using the Convert to Shape and Expand Appearance functions. I was pretty amazed that Illustrator didn't even blink and only took a couple seconds to process the whole batch. Did Adobe get rid of the Find and Replace Symbol function? I know Illustrator used to have something... (I've had a year of Freehand and am catching up with CS2)... where did it go?
Christine Fellenz
The Baltimore Sun

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Miz Fellenz

The "select same symbol" is in the select menu. After selecting all of the same symbol you can swap the symbol for a different one in the symbols palette. Not sure about the find and replace symbol function you mentioned?

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Did Adobe get rid of the Find and Replace Symbol function? I know Illustrator used to have something... (I've had a year of Freehand and am catching up with CS2)... where did it go?

That sounds like Freehand to me

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Find & Replace in AI requires 2 steps (select, then replace), sometimes a few more. And for symbols, use a script.

Claude

Claude

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • United States

Find and Replacing in CS2 is pretty easy. You select the symbol that you are looking for in the Symbols palette fly-out menu "Select all Instances" and when the symbols are selected, click on the new symbol in the symbols palette that you would like to replace them with. Once the new one is chosen, click the replace symbol icon at the bottom of the symbols palette, et voila!
Platts, a div. of McGraw-Hill
www.maps.platts.com

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Find and Replacing in CS2 is pretty easy. You select the symbol that you are looking for in the Symbols palette fly-out menu "Select all Instances" and when the symbols are selected, click on the new symbol in the symbols palette that you would like to replace them with. Once the new one is chosen, click the replace symbol icon at the bottom of the symbols palette, et voila!

The complication ( requiring a script to get around) is that arc map exported document symbols are not ilustrator"Symbols" and the method you described above will not work. You first need to define all those obnects as the same instance of a symbol. There is a script floating around that does this, but I dont think it's on the adobe exchange site.

m

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

If you export from ArcMap black dots, for instance, and want to replace these with an AI symbol, you will need to run a script. The one I prefer is CopyToMultipelObejects.

All you do is (1) add AI symbol to layer - making sure it is first object at the top of the layer's workspace, (2) size the object as needed, (3) add new layer to top of layer list, (4) turn clipping mask off target layer & select the objects in the layer to be replaced, including new AI symbol, and (5) run script. This places newly created AI symbols in the new layer you created.

The thing to keep in mind is that the script distorts the AI symbol to 'fit' the geometry of the feature object. If you are replacing a triangle with a round AI symbol you will get an oblong shape. Think about how this when you assign map symbology in Arcmap before exporting.

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

The complication ( requiring a script to get around) is that arc map exported document symbols are not ilustrator"Symbols" and the method you described above will not work. You first need to define all those obnects as the same instance of a symbol. There is a script floating around that does this, but I dont think it's on the adobe exchange site.

m

Also, note that MaPublisher 7 imported points are symbols. (yay!). (thanks for the tip Claude).

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

johnwun

johnwun

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

If you export from ArcMap black dots, for instance, and want to replace these with an AI symbol, you will need to run a script. The one I prefer is CopyToMultipelObejects.

All you do is (1) add AI symbol to layer - making sure it is first object at the top of the layer's workspace, (2) size the object as needed, (3) add new layer to top of layer list, (4) turn clipping mask off target layer & select the objects in the layer to be replaced, including new AI symbol, and (5) run script. This places newly created AI symbols in the new layer you created.

The thing to keep in mind is that the script distorts the AI symbol to 'fit' the geometry of the feature object. If you are replacing a triangle with a round AI symbol you will get an oblong shape. Think about how this when you assign map symbology in Arcmap before exporting.

Just a brief note, the CopyToMultipelObejects script has been updated, and now gives you the option of resizing or not. :)

cheers,
-J
Need a production script for Illustrator? Check out my Archive of free JS4AI scripts

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

Also, note that MaPublisher 7 imported points are symbols. (yay!). (thanks for the tip Claude).

Also, you can use Apply Expression to change the symbol style. Just select the symbols you want to change (a MAP Selection Filter can make that pretty easy) and then hit Apply Expression. Select #Style as the destination attribute & enter the name of the symbol style you want to switch the selection to (in quotes) as the expression. Hit OK and presto! Done!

This will only work for symbols on a point layer naturally, but I don't suppose anything stops you from making a layer of symbols a Point layer, doing this switch and then changing it back into a normal layer (Remove GIS data...).
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->