liz1110

liz1110

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

Chris,

Your map is quite good looking, but as a resident of Central Florida I couldn't help noticing a few errors:

Yeehaw Junction is in the wrong place. Your map shows it as being southwest of Orlando International Airport and northwest of East Lake Tohopekaliga. Yeehaw Junction is actually at the intersection of Florida's Turnpike (91) and State Road 60 in extreme southeastern Osceola County. If you look on Google Maps you will see that the area you have labeled as Yeehaw Junction is called Buenaventura Lakes.

A couple of the lakes around Windermere (nw corner sector G1) are mis-labeled. The one you have labeled as Lake Down is actually Lake Butler. The one labeled as Lake Butter is Lake Down. In fact, "Lake Butter" seems to be totally in error. I have a paper map of Orlando that shows it as Lake Butler everywhere.

SR 528, which runs from I-4 to I-95, passing just north of the Orlando International Airport is no longer called the Bee Line Expressway. It's been changed to the Beach Line Expressway. I believe the new name is to clue tourists in as to how to get to the beaches from Orlando.

Austin Tyndell Park (sector H1) is actually spelled Austin Tindall Park and SR 417 is known as the Central Florida Greeneway.

Please don't think I'm picking on your map. I couldn't produce anything even remotely as nice, so I'm offering the only criticism I feel qualified to give. If you have access to a paper map of the area it wouldn't hurt to compare your map and the paper map side by side. I live near Orlando so I was only able to pick up on errors in that area. There may be others over on the west coast that I wouldn't notice since I am not familiar with that part of Florida.

Really nice work, and thanks for sharing!
Liz Cruz

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Liz - this type of information is GOLD to a map maker!

When using 'canned' geo-data (such as ESRI data 2006), it is a bit of a gamble, hoping everything is current and accurate. Local knowledge is invaluable to thuthing a map. So again, many thanks for pointing out the issues. I will be sure to look further at these name changes/locations during the map's final revision.

-Chris

ernesto_carreras

ernesto_carreras

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Base map design
    Modern & Historical map techniques
    Hillshading techniques
    Modelling (Geohazards, Habitats, etc.)
    3-D modelling
  • Puerto Rico

Good looking map! I believe that you can work a little bit more with the label placements for some of the cities. Example: some of the cities use the 1st labeling placement position, when it should use either the 2nd or 3rd position. Overall, great job!!!

What type of application are you suing for posting the map in the web?
Ernesto Carreras
Geospatial Analyst II

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Thanks - I used Zoomify - free image processing app for websites.
Someone else in the map gallery recently used it along with a web form for collecting feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->