• 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I've been spending the last couple night in Wiki land. My first stab was editing topography, and in the process I created some new pages, which I think some folks here would do better fleshing out.

The category topography itself needs some work in light of the article topography's edit.

In particular, the new Cartographic Relief Depiction page is a central hub to discuss various relief depiction techniques, most of which are pretty thin or non-existent. I note that "hill pictures" are not on this common page at all yet.

Last night I started a Map Companies category, and spent some time tying together exisiting pages and editing MapQuest and Langenscheidt pages. Again, the coverage is prtty spotty.

Anyway, if anyone feels like coming over and lending a hand...

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Very nice work.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I've been thinking of signing up for Wikipedia too, there's a few areas where I can make a meaningful addition... You'll probabely see me appearing there pretty soon.

Just wondering, is there any sort of screening process? Prove of worthiness, that type of thing?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

I don't know exactly how the system works right now Hans (they've made some recent changes) but it's basically a community approval process. Just like here, I believe many articles have an informal or formal moderator, who may not need to "approve" changes, but may monitor the article for accuracy. When you go to a Wiki article, look at the "Discussion" tab for more information. You also may want to look here: http://en.wikipedia....t...l_(Editing)

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I've been thinking of signing up for Wikipedia too, there's a few areas where I can make a meaningful addition... You'll probabely see me appearing there pretty soon.

Just wondering, is there any sort of screening process? Prove of worthiness, that type of thing?

Nope, they just assume if you care enough to add content, you're good. This accounts for the, erm, variable quality. You can be blocked for vandalizing the site (and there is a fair amount of vandalizing that goes on).

Actually, you can edit anonlymously, but it's nicer to log in and that lets you keep track of articles you care about, carry on real debates, etc.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Kudos (I like this term) to Nat for his efforts.
Chart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->