• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Francis S.

Francis S.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Music: listening, playing (drums), recording. Rock, jazz fusion, jazz, blues.<br />Bicycling<br />
  • United States

Does anyone know of good examples of interactive PDF maps using layers? In addition, maps which have links or attachments to movies (including QTVR panoramas) or sounds? I am making a presentation to a client and would like some real-world examples without having to cook up something half-baked on short notice!

This is sort of a continuation of a topic last year:

Hi friends,

...the dynamic map in PDF format is great for offline rendering, visualization and printings. It uses some of the layers tools in Acrobat Reader and it is very user friendly. Considering the wide distribution of acrobat reader it is a tool to keep in mind as a complementary map dissemination tool....

Regards
JC

Francis Stanton
Eagle Eye Maps

eagleeye@chorus.net
http://www.eagleeyemaps.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I thought Avenza had PDF solutions for this - interactive PDFs where you could click on features and get information.

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Chris,

Avenza did have a pdf plugin for their map outputs from AI, but I believe it is no longer available.

Francis,

Wish I could help as we prepare many pdf maps for our clients. However most are Flats maps with no interactivity. I tried to no avail, to find a neat interactive pdf map of BC Canada golf courses I once came across on the web. (I am sure they are others out there)
Hoping you find good examples for your client.
Chart

Geographic Techniques

Geographic Techniques

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • United States

I believe TerraGO Technologies (formerly Layton-Geo-Science) has a product called MAP2PDF that will create "smart" PDF's with layering and querying capabilities. They have free trial versions available.

TerraGo Technologies

Doug
Douglas Norgord, Geographic Techniques
www.geotechmap.com

Francis S.

Francis S.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Music: listening, playing (drums), recording. Rock, jazz fusion, jazz, blues.<br />Bicycling<br />
  • United States

The MAP2PDF program looks interesting. It adds a whole set of possibilies for creation I hadn't thought of. There is another thread on CartoTalk recently about exporting AI maps back into ArcGIS, and this may be a pathway as they mention in the hype that one can georegister PDFs.

Too bad I already spent the dough on a Mac version of Acrobat! :rolleyes: (MAP2PDF looks wholly PC and costs $495, plus whatever a PC new/crossgrade version of Acrobat would be) Noticed that the personal versions of the software cost more that the governmental versions - is this a form of deficit reduction? :P
Francis Stanton
Eagle Eye Maps

eagleeye@chorus.net
http://www.eagleeyemaps.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Another option is to write a basic interface app in VB or C+, that maps a grid over the pdf and responds with an action when certain parts of selected. I have done this with MapObjects and VB, then wrap it up with a single installation file. I assume it could be done with a PDF or image also.

Pete

Pete

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • United Kingdom

I made this last year - It's a little on the clunky side but it works alright.

You can toggle all of the information on and off using the split button at the bottom or you can click on individual points to show the information for that location.

Attached Files

gregsd

gregsd

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, mostly off-road (MTB) riding.
  • United Kingdom

Using layers within a PDF came up on the MapInfo-L mailing list a few days back and some one posted this link to a relatively cheap PDF creator that will allow you to set-up layers - eDocPrinter PDF Pro. There's a free version that has watermarks or $50/US for the watermark-free version.

Greg Driver

GIS Analyst
MapInfo User...!

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

I made this last year - It's a little on the clunky side but it works alright.

You can toggle all of the information on and off using the split button at the bottom or you can click on individual points to show the information for that location.

That'sd a great example of what can be done Pete, have a job I was thinking of using PDF layers and on map buttons to change layer visibility and you have just convinced me to follow that route.

Thanks for showing it to us.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Pista

Pista

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Slovakia

You can embed a swf of google map into PDF with Adobe Acrobat 9 or higher.

The published swf then could be embedded into PDF. And also there is a way how to control this predesigned google map with acrobat buttons using actinscript ExternalInterface class and connect it with Acrobat Javascript.
This PDF must be opened in Adobe Reader 9 or higher play correctly.

Check this to see the sample.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->