CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi,

I am preparing a quote for the production of 9 x 6 foot wall map.

The resulting map will be mounted to a magnetized sheet.

The map does not need to be in one sheet.
I have decided that 9 maps (36x24) will be created, butted together when mounted (special adhesive) on the magnetized sheet.

Now here comes the question... obviously if it is to be mounted on a magnetized sheet it is because the end users will be moving little magnets all over the map surface...So the map surface needs to be water proof and resistant to scrubbing.

I can't really plastify the sheets before hand because they will be butted together... thus they need be cut at the edge, resulting in a possible opening up...

So.
My Idea is to apply a plastic coating (in the form of clear mactac...) over the paper maps printed on a good paper bound and mounted on the magnetized sheet.

To me that sounds like a bit of a cheap proposition.

I have looked at various paper, film types and canvases on the HP site but I can't really decided on the right material to propose if any. (Using an HP500).

I am affraid that because of the abuse expected on the surface my solution might be OK.

But before I put the final numbers on the proposition I thought I would ask for suggestions.

Thanks!
Chart

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Could you apply a polyurethane fixative to the entire wall after the sheets are mounted and butted together?
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Could you apply a polyurethane fixative to the entire wall after the sheets are mounted and butted together?

Thank you for the reply.

What you propose is the way I first pictured it but did not explain correctly (...My Idea is to apply a plastic coating (in the form of clear mactac...) mactac being some form of plastic overlay ...over the maps once they are all mounted on the magnetized surface...

So the proposal is compete and only the review by the language expert and accountant (that would be my wife) is required before I send my offer.

If others have other suggestions don't hesitate, changes for the better are always welcome. Project start is not scheduled before January....

I usually have a 80-90% success rate on my proposals ... but this one, I think will fall on the 10-20% side....
But in some cases if you don't try you will never know.

Dennis, Thanks again for your comment, it makes me that more confident with my proposal.
Best Regards,
Chart

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

It sounds as though this would be a one sheet printing, so that rules out a few of the printing processes. There are companies that can inkjet print in a 9 or 12 foot format, I've seen the printers demo'd. They are primarily used in large scale displays, and billboards but as I recall they can print in reasonable resolution. (it depends on your definition of reasonable) Check with an advertising company, those displays have to hold up to some pretty abusive conditions, so they might be able to help you out.
Rick Dey

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

It sounds as though this would be a one sheet printing, so that rules out a few of the printing processes. There are companies that can inkjet print in a 9 or 12 foot format, I've seen the printers demo'd. They are primarily used in large scale displays, and billboards but as I recall they can print in reasonable resolution. (it depends on your definition of reasonable) Check with an advertising company, those displays have to hold up to some pretty abusive conditions, so they might be able to help you out.

Rick,

Yep, that is a consideration. I would have to check up on the pricing. From what I recall it gets fairly expensive for these large plots on a per square foot basis. But something to consider in exchange for what I proposed if the cost can stay close to my in house solution.
I should of added that option in my proposal... live and learn.

Thanks for the input.
Chart

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Rick,

Yep, that is a consideration. I would have to check up on the pricing. From what I recall it gets fairly expensive for these large plots on a per square foot basis. But something to consider in exchange for what I proposed if the cost can stay close to my in house solution.
I should of added that option in my proposal... live and learn.

Thanks for the input.

I also remembered that because of the scale of mapping (1: 500 000) and the details to be shown (type size and all) I wanted to have a file size that I could manage when rasterizing. e.g. at 36x24 600dpi. the photoshop file is just under 900 megs per sheet. So that makes around 8 gigs for a full 9 x 6 foot panel. I am sure companies with these plotters can handle these scenarios. But for my end of things, it was food for thought, and I do not really want to get into a possible file handling nightmare. :o
Chart

FlatEarth

FlatEarth

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Australia

Hi,

Talk to the people that are doing the mounting on to the metal. I've done a number of these magnetic wall maps and they are usually printed onto a sticky backed hard wareing vinyl. They could also be matt laminated (helps with lighting and TV cameras) and then glued down. You may also want to talk to outdoor display people as they have experience in this sort of thing - obviously don't go for aluminium backing. I'd suggest some suppliers but I think shipping would kill your quote.

Here's a link to a pdf on wall maps.

http://www.spatialvi...-eccwallmap.pdf

Cheers,

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi,

Talk to the people that are doing the mounting on to the metal. I've done a number of these magnetic wall maps and they are usually printed onto a sticky backed hard wareing vinyl. They could also be matt laminated (helps with lighting and TV cameras) and then glued down. You may also want to talk to outdoor display people as they have experience in this sort of thing - obviously don't go for aluminium backing. I'd suggest some suppliers but I think shipping would kill your quote.

Here's a link to a pdf on wall maps.

http://www.spatialvi...-eccwallmap.pdf

Cheers,

Thank you, will put that info. in my knowledge base.
Chart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->