12 replies to this topic

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Some impressive cartographic work ... check out the zoomify version...

http://www.shadedrel...ical/index.html
Chart

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Drool...

Thanks Tom (vicariously, through CartoTalk)! I really like your velociraptor!

That's really cool that NSD 5 will render plan oblique.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

WOW, Tom did it again. What new Space Shuttle data is he talking about.

Never mind, I found the data.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Very excellent, esp since its free. Could use that.

Its always a challenge to not clutter up a good map, but I was wondering how the hydrology was decided? NJ only has 2 drainages (rivers) and all of the Sierra Nevada's major drainages are shown. Did they use amount of flow or drainage area as a factor, or aesthetics?

* Was the velociraptor image Tom's rabbit or duck? How did he do it?

Tom Patterson

Tom Patterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • United States

About those pesky drainage lines.

Using DCW data. I spent a large amount of time thinning the spaghetti network of drainages to obtain a density that looked appropriate (to my eye at least) as a backdrop on a 1:4-million scale relief map. Tapering the drainages was a bear.

My primary reference in deciding what to show (and what not to show) were the USGS page size reference maps of each state. I also referred to several commercial atlases and the Canadian small-scale maps on Geogratis, all of which had different drainage densities that I tried to balance evenly. Often if a river or lake had a name that I heard of before factored into whether or not it stayed on the map. My methodology was not consistent. For example, the mountain west despite being arid has a drainage network about as dense as that of the eastern US and I name more drainages in the East and Midwest simply to make up for the relative lack of topography in those areas with other information.

I plan to update the physical map in a couple of months based on feedback that I get from users?3,000 visitors to the page in the first three days of November so far. If you see anything that does not look right in areas that you are familiar with, NJ for example, please let me know about it.

Tom

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Tom

I don't see anything wrong with NJ. New York however has Delaware River that I would make some changes to. The river starts with two branches, the East and the West Branch. On the map you are showing the West Branch with Canonsville Reservoir and not showing the East with Pepacton Reservoir. Since I know both rivers very well, I would do the opposite and show the East Branch instead of the West Branch. East Branch is much larger river that supplies about 70% of water when joined with West Branch to form the Delaware River. It's not much wider than the West Branch, but it is alot deeper and carries large percentage of the water that draines from Catskill Mountains. Showing both Branches wouldn't hurt. I'm attaching section of your map showing where the East Branch should be and couple images showing the Catskill Watershed from one of my maps. Most layers on those maps are hidden to just show the river network. Some watershed labels might look out of place since most of the times there are roads running along the rivers. Images might have to be clicked on again to show in full scale.

Is it possible to get the JPG file without the watershed. I usually draw lakes and river network in Illustrator with vector watershed on top of the shading. Would be fun to play around with the watershed to make it more pronounced.

I feel silly making comments on maps made by you. You are the MASTER when it comes to map making. This map reflects that and it looks absolutely beautiful. If I had to change something, I would keep the Bathymetry looking more like it did in your CleanTOPO2 with some mild blurring. I think it's just too smooth.

Thank you for making such a beautiful map and offering it for free download. I'm plotting a wall map from it on Monday.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Nice work Beaver - really. Oh, noticed a lower "b" in beaver Kill. I forgot how close the Delaware & Hudson drainages snug up against each other.

The bathymetry might be too washed out for me too, from what I could make out - looks like miles and miles of snorkeling opportunities off the east coast. :P

Tom Patterson

Tom Patterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • United States

Beaver,

Thanks for your comments. I have them filed and will see to updating the upper reaches of the Delaware River on version 2.0 of my physical map.

Is it possible to get the JPG file without the watershed. I usually draw lakes and river network in Illustrator with vector watershed on top of the shading. Would be fun to play around with the watershed to make it more pronounced.

Drainages from other source maps will not register to the terrain because it is 3D and exhibits planimetric displacement to the north, up to several mm in the Rockies. Getting lines drawn in AI to fit the relief would require considerable guess work. Of course, the correct way to do this is by rendering new drainages on the terrain in NSD 5, but the release of the new version is still months away. Being forewarned, I'd be happy to give you my map sans drainages to tinker with. Let me know.

I feel silly making comments on maps made by you. You are the MASTER when it comes to map making.

Your opinion of my work would certainly change if you saw some of my not-so-inspired maps that I don't show off online. ;)

Bathymetry looking more like it did in your CleanTOPO2 with some mild blurring. I think it's just too smooth.

A fair critique.

Tom

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

I don't see a lower b in the Beaver Kill. Here is a close up and the entire map with most layers on. Remember that once the image loads in, you have to click on it again to see it in full scale. The map has been finished for some time now, but still waiting for approval from various NY State departments. Once that goes thru, it will be displayed in over 100 public places.

Posted Image

Posted Image

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Tom. That would be great. Even if the watershed requires all manual work, I would love play around with the rivers using different stokes and tapers. I can't do that with the JPG you posted since it has the watershed already in it. My email is beav700@yahoo.com

Thank you.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Beaver - correct you are re: clicking on image - The B was scrunched down on initial loading :ph34r:

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

How did you end up in Italy. I saw your other post about moving from US to Italy.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Ah! My wife is from Italy, we met in California, so we threw all cares to the wind and moved here - I love it so far. Looking forward to skiing in the alps in December.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->