- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I have a PDF that I need to edit in Illustrator that originally came from Arc. The point symbols are of course text elements, but I need to resize them. What I need to know is when Arc exports points where is the actual point? The text anchor point? The center of the symbol (in this case an "X")?

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Don't know about Arc, but when doing imports with MAPublisher (older versions), the text anchor was at the actual point.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Anchor point most likely. However depending on the font construction displaying the symbol in the PDF file, the symbol could display dead centre even if the anchor point is lower left.. see symbol font designs. What you need to know is the actual xy of the points... but maybe that is not available?

If I shed some light great... if not disregard... ;)
Chart

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

If it is the anchor point that is good, but that makes me wonder then... wouldn't all Arc exported point symbols be visually mislocated since the symbol is above and to the right of the anchor?

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

If it is the anchor point that is good, but that makes me wonder then... wouldn't all Arc exported point symbols be visually mislocated since the symbol is above and to the right of the anchor?

Could be, check out the documentation of MapPublisher (version 5 and below) with regards to calculating the displacement. They had an excel file or something like that to calculate the shifting based on pt size.
Chart

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I always select "convert marker symbols to polygons" on export and that produces predictable graphic elements, although this is a very interesting question.

In Illustrator you could "Create Outlines" of the symbol-font before resizing and guarantee proper placement.

I did a quick test to see what happened when you re-size. The green circles are symbol-fonts that I used the "Create Outlines" function in AI and resized to 50%. They maintained their proper position. The red circles are symbol-fonts that I resized from 16pt to 8pt. The baseline didn't shift so they were re-sized from the text anchor.
Attached File  test.png   28.96KB   92 downloads

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->