• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Francis S.

Francis S.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Music: listening, playing (drums), recording. Rock, jazz fusion, jazz, blues.<br />Bicycling<br />
  • United States

Hi Folks:

I went ahead and made my first post about NACIS yesterday, and forgot to introduce myself!

My name is Francis ('i' as in his) and have been a cartographer since college (more or less) circa 1976. I studied cartography under Prof. Albert Smith at the University of Colorado, Boulder. He helped me get some freelance jobs in school to start my career. Following that I was a photogrammetrist with a firm in Denver who did a lot of resource extraction maps (we called them 'before' maps). Then started a mail-order map catalog (BI=Before Internet) which sort of muddled along. Eventually started Eagle Eye Maps in 1985 and have survived to this day. I mostly do phonebook street maps, with forays into pretty much anything that comes my way (check out the Portfolio section on the website).

As for tools, in the beginning it was pen and ink on mylar, Leroy lettering, scribing, waxed type, darkroom work, light tables, employees; the 'whole catastrophe'. Started setting type on the Apple II via modem and worked up to getting Freehand v1 on the Mac II in 1987 (or 88?). Since then it's been a solo gig and a whole lot of Freehand. Added MaPublisher and then ArcView as a front end data handler a few years ago, and now it's time to convert to Illustrator. Not ready for ArcView 9.2, graphically or economically!

Looking forward to being part of the community,

Francis

PS...been wondering where all the people on the MacMap list had gone...
Francis Stanton
Eagle Eye Maps

eagleeye@chorus.net
http://www.eagleeyemaps.com

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Welcome Francis,

It was very nice to chat with you at NACIS. I am sure your experience bridging the "old ways" will be a great input to the forum.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Claude

Claude

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • United States

hi Francis,
Welcome. Our small cart group is in Boulder, are you still here or in Denver now?
Claude
Platts, a div. of McGraw-Hill
www.maps.platts.com

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Welcome,

Nice to have an 'oldie' on the forum that remembers the scribbing and pen and ink days.

:)
Chart

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Hi Francis,

Glad you made it onto the forums. It was nice chatting with you in the Hospitality Suite that night. :) I checked out your work on your website, very nice!

Francis S.

Francis S.

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Music: listening, playing (drums), recording. Rock, jazz fusion, jazz, blues.<br />Bicycling<br />
  • United States

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am located in Madison currently, and the way house prices are, probably will be for awhile....

Francis
Francis Stanton
Eagle Eye Maps

eagleeye@chorus.net
http://www.eagleeyemaps.com

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Francis,

Welcome. Sorry we didn't connect at NACIS. Its good to have another who remembers leroy lettering and scribecoat on the board.
Rick Dey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->