ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

I have a .shp file with almost 50,000 line features (transmission lines across North America). In many places, the lines are so close together (running along side each other) that labeling and visual identification is difficult. Is there a way to automatically spread lines that are within a certain distance of each other using an Arcview seat ArcGIS? I also have access to MapInfo.
Here's an image showing a small section at 1:250,000 The final print will be somewhere around 1:750,000

Any advice would be great. thanks.

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

I don't think there is a ... run this routine solution...
For one, hydro lines might be tight together in an area (as they get closer to power stations) but most are at one point a lonesome line in another area. So you want to de-congest in one area but not another. Therefor, things becomes subjective and hard to apply a mathematical solution.

So unless someone as written a specific application for your problem you probably will be left to use your cartographic skills (and from what I saw from your work, it is something in which you abound).

Suggestions (all of which you probably thought about, or know of): You might want to regroup lines that have the same tensions. For Hydro-Quebec they use 5 classes...49,120,230,315 and 735 kw. Thus two lines of the same tension running over the same pylons would only be shown as one line with two line numbers as labels. (in your case you can label with the number 2 to indicate that 2 lines run along that corridor)
I also use a buffer (light tint) under the lines. That helps the user focus on the corridor with lines.

In sum your scale is a hard one to work with, to represent linear features of that nature.

If I think of something else I will post...
Chart

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I understand the scale, but how large will the map be printed, or used?

One option would be to group and symbolize. One line symbol for 1 powerline, another for 2 powerlines running parallel, etc.

Can the attributes in the polyline shapefile help you classify the data for symbolization?

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

Have you tried the ArcGIS Schematics extension. Look at this site that describes the features of Schematics:

http://www.esri.com/...t/features.html

The third image down, I think, may be along the lines of what you're looking for. In general this stuff should be useful for cartographers wanting to do things like transit, pipeline, or utility conduit mapping.

I've never used it (I really wish I had the time to try it) and so would love to hear if anyone has used it successfully for this kind of stuff.

Thanks,

Charlie
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Have you tried the ArcGIS Schematics extension. Look at this site that describes the features of Schematics:

http://www.esri.com/...t/features.html

The third image down, I think, may be along the lines of what you're looking for. In general this stuff should be useful for cartographers wanting to do things like transit, pipeline, or utility conduit mapping.

I've never used it (I really wish I had the time to try it) and so would love to hear if anyone has used it successfully for this kind of stuff.

Thanks,

Charlie

Looks like an interesting and very useful product...
Chart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->