Photo

Export Arcmap annotations as sep layers?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I have an ArcMap project with 10 layers, each with annotation. When I export to AI, I get one 'Graphics' layer with all annotation.

Is search/replace by font/style the only way to manipulate the labels? If so, I can put them in separate layers manually this way.

An thoughts on the benefits of annotation vs standard labels?

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

don't know that much about the best way, but an easy way to separate things in Illy, that I have used for other things - in to groups/layers:

You can't select and then group by font, but you can do that by color. So just make sure that each layer or group of annotation has a different unique color, and then you can use "select similar fill" in illy and then group.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

I have an ArcMap project with 10 layers, each with annotation. When I export to AI, I get one 'Graphics' layer with all annotation.

Is search/replace by font/style the only way to manipulate the labels? If so, I can put them in separate layers manually this way.

An thoughts on the benefits of annotation vs standard labels?

My feeling is that if you are doing a simple project that you are not going to reuse parts of in the future then standard labels are the quick and easy way to go.

If you have labels that you are going to reuse, annotation in a personal geodatabase is definitely the way to go. Most of my work involves the Colorado River basin in Texas. Some time ago I made personal geodatabase annotation layers for the streams, cities, and county boundaries for the river basin at 1:500000. I have used these over and over again for hundreds of maps saving me many hours of work.

Also personal geodatabase annotation layers are treated as separate layers when exported from ArcMap which will eliminate the problem of separating layers in Illustrator that you are experiencing.

A final advantage of annotation (saved in the map or in a personal geodatabase) is that you get much more precise control over label placement then you get with ArcMap's labeling engine.

Rich

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

A final advantage of annotation (saved in the map or in a personal geodatabase) is that you get much more precise control over label placement then you get with ArcMap's labeling engine.

Thanks frax - that works nicely. Simply choose unique label colors in ArcMap and the rest is cake.

Rich - Actually, when I set up the labels with Maplex engine, I get what I want - in other words - not perfection, but am squeezing as much label work out of Maplex, leaving me with less manual work in AI (inevitable though). When I convert to annotation, I do not get exactly what Maplex did - always a little different, depending on my reference scale. So, I think I will go with Maplex labels and leave annotations for, like you said, bread-butter layers.

Am also taking notes on which fonts Maplex has the least type crashes with. (small type serif fonts crash a lot).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->