• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Jennifer

Jennifer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:maps - preferably beautiful & functional, hiking about the forest, sipping great coffee, my mac, tuning in with the iPod, reading, writing, paper and collage art
  • United States

I've been lurking the halls of Carto-Talk for just over a year ago but haven't posted a thing. I'm still feeling jazzed about NACIS in Madison and am inspired to start anew here.

I began working at Adventure Cycling Association in beautiful Missoula, MT (the site for NACIS 2008?? maybe) while still attending the University of Montana and have continued off and on ever since. The audience for our maps is the touring bicyclist. We list services along with narratives that provide directions for guiding the cyclist along our routes. There's a better description here:

http://www.adventure...routes/maps.cfm

We use Freehand on Macs to create our maps and are looking to incorporate GIS into our work flow. I've been saying that for over a year now. I think it might actually happen in the next year. And yes, I know Freehand looks to be at the end of its life so we'll likely make the transition to Illustrator at the same time.

That's me in a mapping nutshell.

.Jennifer.
--
Jennifer H. Milyko
Adventure Cycling Association

www.adventurecycling.org
follow me on twitter: @acaroutes

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Jennifer, and welcome to Cartotalk!
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Hello and welcome!

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Welcome to the forum Jennifer! Enjoy.

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Welcome on in Jennifer. I enjoyed talking with you at NACIS.
Rick Dey

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Welcome to CartoTalk,

Nice aventure cycling site!

Here is a Quebec aventure cycling site (Velo Quebec)... not many English publications but those available could be of interest to you.

http://www.velo.qc.c...ge=publications
Chart

Jennifer

Jennifer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:maps - preferably beautiful & functional, hiking about the forest, sipping great coffee, my mac, tuning in with the iPod, reading, writing, paper and collage art
  • United States

Welcome to CartoTalk,

Nice aventure cycling site!

Here is a Quebec aventure cycling site (Velo Quebec)... not many English publications but those available could be of interest to you.

http://www.velo.qc.c...ge=publications

Thanks for the compliment on our site, it is a work in progress. I believe our magazine editor was at the Velo Quebec headquarters about a year and a half ago. They gave him a great tour and took him on a ride touring the city as well. Beautiful cycling city. I think we need more maps there and some route research... :)

.Jennifer.
--
Jennifer H. Milyko

www.adventurecycling.org

GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

Hey Jennifer - Good to see another Big Sky person on the forum. It seems like we have a few around here. Not bad for a big state that isn't full of people! I must say this is one of the best forums on the net. A great gorup of people who post some excellent information while being polite and friendly.

Cheers.

margaret

margaret

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • United States

Hi Jennifer, it was nice to meet you in Madison! -marg

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

hi Jennifer,

it was nice meeting you at.... the airport when we were leaving! hope you had a nice flight back. glad you finally joined up and decided to post.

:)

Jennifer

Jennifer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

it was nice meeting you at.... the airport when we were leaving! hope you had a nice flight back. glad you finally joined up and decided to post.

:)

I enjoyed meeting you as well and I appreciated the ride to the airport with your group. What I want to know is, what happened to you guys after the plane took off? Once we boarded the plane, I never saw you again. I thought I might bump into you in Denver but nary a sighting.

.Jennifer.

Hi Jennifer, it was nice to meet you in Madison! -marg

I'm glad to have chatted with you, as well. Thanks for your work on the Map-Off. (You are that Margaret, aren't you?)

.Jennifer.

Argh! Why does it keep doing this? I wanted this to be two separate replies and they keep posting together...

.J.
--
Jennifer H. Milyko

www.adventurecycling.org

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Jennifer,

Welcome to the carto-board. It is great to have someone else from that great topographically rich state of Montana.

Go Griz!

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

I enjoyed meeting you as well and I appreciated the ride to the airport with your group. What I want to know is, what happened to you guys after the plane took off? Once we boarded the plane, I never saw you again. I thought I might bump into you in Denver but nary a sighting.

.Jennifer.

Sorry, our stomachs took over and we marched to one of the restaurants in the terminal to sit and grab a bite to eat. We were all feeling a bit hungry, and those peanuts on the plane didn't do anything except make us thirsty.

Jennifer

Jennifer

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • United States

.Jennifer.

Sorry, our stomachs took over and we marched to one of the restaurants in the terminal to sit and grab a bite to eat. We were all feeling a bit hungry, and those peanuts on the plane didn't do anything except make us thirsty.

Hmm, I did, too. We must have gone opposite directions. Ah, well.
--
Jennifer H. Milyko

www.adventurecycling.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->