rmcculley

rmcculley

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Canada

Wow!! Some of those looked nice!

I would love one of those triple panel units.

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

i want the dual-portrait 17". its only $949, the most reachable for me. sure you can grab two $200 acer's and a mounting frame from some third party company, do the work yourself, and find freeware multiple monitor software or even just use intel/microsoft drivers. but the integration ... <drool>... is probably worth it for some of us :P

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I'm pretty crazy about my Dell 2405, running 1920 x 1200. To the right I have a 19-inch turned in portrait mode for palettes. Even compared to my old 21-inch CRT, it's like taking off the goggles.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

My multiple monitors should be here in the next couple of weeks. I can't wait. I've been working on one 20" monitor for a long time now. I'm upgrading to 2 19" monitors soon.

When you're doing a lot of editing in ArcGIS, it'd be nice to have tables open on one side, and the geographics on the other.

On the other hand, I just told my boss that, while the two monitor set up is nice, I'm open to 6 21" monitors. 24" monitors might be a little too big and unnecessary. :rolleyes:
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Well I have 3 monitors and yes I'm addicted. There is always a place for another one!
As you can see in attachment, the left monitor is used for file browsing, system performance and multiple desktop manager (LCD 1280x1024). Other two monitors (CRT 22" 1600x1200) are my working monitors. Both monitors are color calibrated.
4x(4480x1200 - 1280x256) of total desktop space and sometime still too crowded! Probably I'm not the most organized type of person?

Lui

Attached Files

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Nice! What's the system monitor you have going on in the left monitor? I like how the map project spans center and right monitors.

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I'm pretty crazy about my Dell 2405, running 1920 x 1200. To the right I have a 19-inch turned in portrait mode for palettes. Even compared to my old 21-inch CRT, it's like taking off the goggles.

I have this same setup with an Acer 24" widescreen (1920x1600 - recently purchased from TigerDirect for only $699) and a second 19"(1280x1024) for email and palettes.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

I have two Apple 17 LCDs and once you get used to working with a pair of monitors it is really, really difficult to not have them. In the next decade I'm sure we'll see those 'surround' systems become commonplace - and cheap - I can't wait! Or maybe we'll have a 12 ft x 8 ft plasma that is the whole wall?

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Nice! What's the system monitor you have going on in the left monitor? I like how the map project spans center and right monitors.

The system monitor is Samurize. Custom configuration. It is not eye candy but it is effective and takes very small amount of CPU resources.

Lui

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

once you get used to working with a pair of monitors it is really, really difficult to not have them.
m.

So true. I use two 19" Dell LCD's at work. When I go home I have really hard time adapting to just one lousy monitor. I'm ruined.

jerseysbest

jerseysbest

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Road and Mtn Biking, vintage Mustangs, skiing, guitar, and maps of course.
  • United States

At work, I have a 19" wide screen, and 20" 'square', both LCDs. Supposedly there are some 22 and 24 inch monitors on order, but we'll have to see.

Also just bought myself a $200 Acer 20" (still waiting on the rebate though...) in addition to the 19" CRT on my home comp. Definitely increased my productivity, and I love having ALL the palettes in Illy I need open on the other screen, even though I have keyboard shortcuts for all of them, it's nice not having them in the way. And, I can have Illy in full screen mode, and then have the task bar on the other screen. I can't imagine going back to one screen, or even one very large (like 24" or bigger) screen. To think only ten years ago I only had one 15" crt. Those seem so tiny now.

And when I'm not working, it's nice to have something from Youtube playing on one, and browse the news or whatever on the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->