6 replies to this topic

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

In terms of marketing, does anyone have any success using Google AdWords to attract new clients from the net?

I just started an Adword 'campaign' with a muy modest monthly budget for experimenting. In the two weeks I have had it running, I have received new traffic to my site via my Google Ad. No new clients so far, but there have been requests for services that are outside of my service and interest (i.e provide real estate value of parcels etc.). I plan to keep the campaign for 6 months to complete the evaluation. I am ever so tempted to keep tweaking the adwords and the ad text, but I know I should let this work or not work for a few months, then envoke changes.

Thoughts?

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I have had limited success with Adwords, but it does seem to drive some extra traffic my way. One thing I would suggest is to combine Adwords with Google Analytics, their free site statistics (formerly Urchin). You add a bit of JavaScript to each page and you get great web stats. You can also set up one page as a "conversion" page (a quote form or a contact us page for example) and Google Analytics will be able to track your "cost per conversion." You can even set a monetary value for conversion.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

It is a good idea to develop targeted landing pages for your services. Typically the content on a main page is way too general to be considered "advertsing". If your selling a service directly from your site, make sure you insert the conversion tracking code. You also need to keep researching new keywords, tweaking old ones in response to the competion, and use negative keywords. You don't want to be static for six months.

Sometimes I use Yahoo's Search Marketing tools to get an idea of the number of searches that were performed the previous month on Yahoo's partner sites for certain keywords. This doesn't include Google, but it will give you a little insight.

Sitepoint.com is a great resource for web advertising info.

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Chris,

We've done "okay" with AdWords....though I find it difficult to track success rates related to sales. Click-throughs are easier to track via Google's reporting tools. However, how well those click-throughs are translating into sales has been a bit difficult to monitor.

One thing I DON'T like about Adwords sometimes though is having to pay for "clicks" when it is obvious that a number of people are just using the ad as a short-cut when they can't remember a URL or business name. A lot of our click-throughs come out of student computer labs and/or libraries too.....which is not really the types of traffic that we are looking to generate. I like the service though, and feel it has, at minimum, improved our firm's overall name recognition in the marketplace. I haven't yet had anyone say that they found our web site (and are hiring us) after clicking on an ad in Google though......
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

though I find it difficult to track success rates related to sales.

This is where the Google Analytics can help.

Nick Springer

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

This is where the Google Analytics can help.

Yep, I LOVE Google Analytics! I just haven't yet figured out how to tie click-throughs to actual sales. Our site doesn't involve any retail sales, so what I'm really after is trying to track "cold-call" visits to our web sites (no previous contact with or solicitation from our firm) and then comparing them to our actual financial reports. Tough or impossible to figure out, I know! However, Analytics is a wonderful.....FABULOUS tool for seeing how one's web site is being used. B)
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • United States

I have a quote request form that people use a lot and I have tied that to Google Analytics. Of course I get a lot of work from other avenues but at least it's some connection.

Nick Springer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->